CairnTalk

Growth and Maturity

springlady

My puppy, Drew, seems to be full grown according to the books regarding the typical height, length and weight of a full grown male Cairn. He turned 5 months old 5 days ago! Am I raising a giant? I don't really care if he is bigger than the normal dog when he is full grown, but can he be full grown already? His new teeth are nearly all in and he is by no means fat (no one who spends that much time running around at 65 mph could be). He is a lean, mean moving machine. Any advice from someone who has raised a puppy from 8 weeks to one year would be appreciated. The two extensive books I have regarding care, feeding, expectations, etc., do not discuss what the heck they are supposed to look like at this age. :blink:

Guest Guest posting as:LORI
;) HAVE YOU CONSIDERED THE SIZE OF BOTH PARENTS. IS THERE EUROPEAN BLOOD INVOLVED. THEY ARE MUCH BIGGER IN EUROPE. WE HAVE A CAIRN DOWN THE STREET THAT IS A MALE AND WEIGHS 23 LBS. HE'S A BIG BRINDLE. OUR ALMOST THREE YEAR OLE GIRL WEIGHS 16 LBS. A BEAUTIFUL READDY IF I MAY SAY.

Archived