CairnTalk

possible drug-induced paranoia

Mary Jane Henry

Hi everyone! I've never used a "forum" before, but I'm hoping to get some help with a big problem. I can't really afford to take my 14 month old Cairn to the vet for a couple of weeks, but she seems to have a big problem *right now*! She came from an excellent breeder and I stayed home with her for the first year and she was very carefully raised. She used to be a vey fiesty, confident, full-of-herself little dog with attitude ~ but over the past 4 days has turned into a bundle of nerves and is completely different ~ hiding under beds, cowering and shivering and crouching down close to the floor! I'm worried that someone has abused her, but I also wonder if she could have eaten something. I found an empty foil wrapper for red "extra-strength" "Cepacol" cough drops under the bed where she's been hiding and also a chocolate wrapper! She eats everything she can find - could this be the problem? And if so, how can I de-toxify her?!? Also, what other common drugs could have caused this very wierd behaviour? Hoping for help!

my dog was hallucinating after taking a doggy drug that was supposed to calm him. But the effects wore off after a few hours.

He acted paranoid after getting his rabies shot and simultaneously having a pinched nerve. l tablet of Baby aspirin morning and evening helped in that incident.

The internet is a good place to look for information, but a terrible place to get urgent medical advice.

Chocolate is well-known as toxic for dogs. Some can tolerate a small amount in various degrees, depending on the size of the dog, the amount of chocolate, the kind of chocolate, and so on. An unknown amount of chocolate would have me to the vet RIGHT NOW.

http://www.barkbytes.com/medical/med0011.htm

http://www.vetheart.com/choc.html

Further, any abrupt change in attitude in behavior is a warning sign of something that may need vet attention. If this were my dog she would be at the vet RIGHT NOW.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I have to second that response. Sounds to me like your dog needs urgent medical care. Such an abrupt change in behavior, coupled with the wrappers you found, lead me to believe something is gravely wrong. I would get to the vet as soon as humanly possible.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Thanks a lot for the good advice! It cost me $260.00 but I took her to the vet and got a blood test - results tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Well, my little Emma is at the vet this afternoon waiting for an x-ray. The blood tests were inconclusive but mostly fine - except I think the pancreas. This morning she vomited, she is still unsteady on her little legs and seems to be extremely uncomfortable, preferring to stay under the bed. She used to love walks but today just wanted two tiny ones. I used to give her Flax oil with her food until a week ago. Could rancid Flax Oil cause neurological damage? It does seem to be some kind of neurological problem involving tremors. I'm very worried! The breeder suggested the oil to improve her coat, but today I looked it up on the internet and they say it's very unstable and begins to go off almost as soon as you open the bottle! I'll keep you posted as to the results of the x-ray!

Say a little prayer for Emma! Thanks!

Mary Jane

Hi! My heart goes out to you - - I have been through so much with my little Cairn puppy and I can relate to the anxiety you must be having. Hopefully - - your Emma can return to a normal state of health!! All good wishes for a rapid and complete recovery!!

Hello carin lovers...

I have bee reading your forums and I thought I would add a situation of my own. My carin, jake has almost the same promlem as you all describe. For the last few months, he suddenly gets up and walks really fast around the room, as if something is after him. he sometimes drools, shivers, whins, tries to hid in small places, acts really confused. I have taken him ot the vet and have spent around 400.00 going through all kinds of blood tests. he checks out fine except that he still acts crazy.....I believe we have figured out what the problem may be......he is suffering from anexity attacks. The vet is currently trying to find a suitable prescription for some kind of medication that helps with this problem. Has anyone ever had this problem with their carin and if so.......what can I do.

The vet has absolutely no idea what is the matter - even whether it's some kind of poison or illness - they just don't know. They sent her home last night after a few hours on an I.V. drip with steroids and antibiotics because she needed to be watched because she could have a seizure. She didn't (Thank God!) and most of the tremors are gone today but now she has lost the use of her bladder pretty much and just sleeps, so it seems as if the poison is making the rounds. I looked up poison antidotes on the internet and discovered powdered charcoal, which is supposed to absorb toxins but otherwise is pretty innert, so I bought some and have given her tiny amounts. (I asked a pharmacist too and she said she had heard the same thing.) The vet said they only use it in the first 3 to 5 hours - way too late for me! The only treatment I'm following now is plenty of TLC, lots and lots of liquids, New Zealand honey and warm water, liquid doggie vitamins and tiny amounts of powdered charcoal. She doesn't seem to be in any pain for the time being. The reason we were so late in going to the vet is because we were fooled by the early symptoms which appeard to be fear, hiding and disorientation. It took us a while to notice the tremors and that the legs weren't working properly. The breeder says it's not genetic. Say a little prayer for Emma please! Thanks,

MJ

When I was afraid my puppy would be terribly frightened on the airline, somebody suggested that I look into something called anxiety wrap. She said it may help my dog, as it helped hers overcome anxiety and made hers calmer.

http://www.sitstay.com/store/clothing/anxwrap.shtml

The idea reminded me of a baby's swaddling blanket.

As the "wrap" was expensive, I decided to try something else. Now, don't laugh- it was like a baby's stretchie without pants and sleeves. Well, my dog did slow down a bit, and relax. Who knows- maybe he was confused.

What do you think about the anxiety wrap idea?

Well I have some good news about my little Emma! Last Monday night we took her to the all-night intensive care clinic here where there is a neurologist. (She was ther on IV for 4 days!) She told us that she had just about ruled out poison because it just doesn't last that long, and said it was probably Shaker Dog Syndrome. She said to contact the breeder and get some info. It turned out that another pup with the same father has the same illness and it occurred at 14 months too. The vet wanted to do a spinal tap, but since we had the precedent of the half brother, we decided it wasn't necessary and she is beginning to recover on steroids. Apparently it will be a slow recovery taking about 12 weeks, but the outcome is good. For all of you with light coloured dogs - the full name is *Small White Shaker Dog Syndrome* and I think that it is more usual in Westies but please beware of this awful illness which comes on as fearfulness and tremors.

Cheers,

Mary Jane

Now you've got me concerned. Wes, not yet a year old yet, has these little "tremblings" some times. Although he is considered "wheaten," he has become cream colored.

I looked up shaker syndrome and learned that diazepan /valium is used as a treatment. That medicine causes my dog to hallucinate.

Glad the news wasn't as bad as you feared and that your little Emma will be on the road to recovery soon.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Archived