CairnTalk

dog barkinf problem

hi i just got a cairn terrier @ 8 weeks and now he is about 11 1/2wks. when we repriman him, by saying NO in a stern tone, he gets pissed and barks back, this is annoying because we live in an apartment with thin walls. Any suggestions to get this under control??

Hi! I found that with my Cairn puppy that "time-outs" work wonders!! I just put him in his crate and walk away when he has a barking fit!! Mine will also bark at me when I reprimand him - - it is a matter of showing who has the control - - also holding his mouth closed for a couple of seconds while saying a firm "NO" also helps. Good luck!!

My little guy still barks back in a loud but playful voice when we try to reprimand him. It is like he just doesn't understand when you are serious and when you mean business or he is just pushing to find out. We go through a usual ritual of telling him to get off the bed when we are trying to make it. He continually jumps back on just fast enough to jump off and lap circles around the house. He barks at us like crazy and runs some more. I have found it to be quite amusing and can't even get mad at him anymore. I guess in that situation he is the boss cause all I can do is try hard not to let him know I am laughing at him.

I keep telling myself that this is definately the Cairn side of him and to enjoy it because the years go by so fast that one day we will wish he was still able to do those crazy things.

Maxwell

Our Cairns have a 'smart' mouth sometimes, too. They are known for being very 'talky' and vocal dogs.

Our oldest cairn has very distinct barks, howls, yowls, all kinds of noises for different things. Our little guy is also starting to sing some 'songs', too.

But, if you really want him to not bark our trainer suggested Binaca breath spray. (yes, it sounds sorta mean and I am sure not everyone will agree with this method). When your puppy barks you say "hush" or whatever word you choose. If they bark a second time, say "hush" again firmly and they get a squirt in the mouth. Be VERY careful not to get it in their eyes, though!

This has worked wonders for my dogs. While it hasn't completely stopped the barking, all I have to do now is 'show' them the spray and they quiet down pretty quickly. Maybe give it a try and see how how he reacts. But, keep in mind that he IS still a baby and it takes time for them to learn who's boss.

We thought about putting him in his crate but everything I read said to not use the crate as punishment. It should be considered a "good" place to be.

Cathy

I also need some advice about barking- But my request is a litle different.

This month, we took our little cairn with us on the airline again. He was unusually good during the flight. But we had trouble boarding and leaving the plane because of all the barking.

The second flight, everyone seemed to understand, but the first one- Our little puppy had grown men cowering in terror. They seemed to think there was a lion in the sherpa bag.

I bet Rosco turns out fine. He sounds like a typical Cairn Terrier. Ours is 16 months old. And he will scold us with a gruff sounding bark when we do something he does not like. They some how or other feel they are the "owner" and therefore the boss. Quirky but precious little guys!

Posey

Archived