CairnTalk

Ou Cairn's last chance (?) :-(

Hello all.

I've written once before about my Cairn named Kramer. He's now over a year old and still both a bundle of joy and a basket of hell!

I recently, moved from the house I stayed in with my Mother and the dog. He had always been quite a little terror, but we had hoped with training and as he grew up his behavior would improve. Unfourtunately it has not. My Mom is doing everything she can to make this dog a good one, but she has become very distraught. She feels hopless. He has started obedience classes, but I fear they won't be teaching him much more than the basic "sit, stay, come." I'm worried his behavior is something that may be inherent in him. To make maters worse an anonymous neighboor dropped a note in our mailbox telling us how we need to keep our dog quiet and that his barking is disturbing the neighboorhood. Needless to say my mother has lived in this neighboorhood for 26 years now, so she is quite upset.

I want to give her some advice, but I'm hardly an expert. Some talk has come up about possibly having to give Kramer up for adoption. This would obviously be the absolute last step. We really do love this little guy. We've spent so much time not to mention money on him, but he IS at times unbearable. I'm hoping there's something, anything that one of you who love your Cairn too can suggest.

Thank so much for reading and any light you can shine would be very much appreciated.

eweir@lycos.com

Sorry to hear you are going thru this with Kramer. You mentioned 'barking' as one problem. May I ask what other problems you are having? Also, may I ask what type of obedience training you are attending? Group class? One on one?

We were all set to take our puppy (now 7 months old) to "puppy kingergarten" at a local pet store. We started mentiong this to some neighbors as we were walking the dogs thru the neighborhood. Thru our conversations, one trainer's name kept coming up so we decided to give her a try first. She comes to our home for 'one on one' training. It is only slightly more expensive than the group class.

Anyway, we liked her so much and saw rapid progress. But, please keep in mind that we work with him very frequently here at home, as well. Our trainer would show us and tell us EXACTLY how to do it and EXACTLY what to say to him and when. She would spend more time observing us and correcting OUR reactions and words. Just the tone of voice you use is crucial.

Sorry to ramble, but the gist of what I am saying is I think you should try to find a dog trainer that deals with behavioral issues. And, one that can work with you and Kramer one on one. It is my belief that in a group setting it is way too hard for the instructors to work with ALL the dogs effectively.

So far, he has learned 'sit', 'stay', 'come', 'down' and now starting on 'heel'. They do have to learn the basics before moving onto more extensive training.

Our puppy is doing pretty good but lately has been having some lapses.....sigh. We are hoping it is just the 'terrible teens'....hehe! But, we are still trying to be persistant and consistant. We're hoping it will pay off in the end!!

Hope you can tell us more. I sure would hate to see you get rid of him :( .

Cathy

P.S. If it's any comfort....terriers are noted for being the most difficult to train. Just their nature.....

We have been extremely lucky with our 6-month old Piper, I guess. She is very smart and quite obedient for a terrier. She knows sit, stay, come (not reliable yet on this one if there are distractions), down, off and quiet so far. We found consistency was the big thing. But the thing that probably worked best for us is that we got her over the summer and I was able to be home full time with her. We have three boys also, ages 13 and 9 year old twins, who also worked extensively with her. We worked with her on and off all day after we got her at 8 weeks (just short bursts of training) but she learned most of her commands within the first few weeks. We used liver treats as rewards and it worked wonders for her. The reason I mention this is because I agree with CathyAnn. If you could find a recommended behavioral trainer, one who could work intensely with you and your pet, he might get the intense one-on-one training it sounds as if he needs. Also, I'm wondering if he's been neutered? I don't know about males, but I know with our former cairn, she greatly settled down behavior-wise after spaying. And she was a wild one! Whatever the case, I hope you find a solution and can keep your little Kramer. He sounds like a cutie and a typical cairn. ;)

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

if i understood your letter........kramer now lives with your mom and you don't? is that correct??

i love your description.. perfect...."a bundle of joy a basket of hell".

i guess kramer and my otis are cut from the same cloth.

from what i've learned and come to understand is that cairns are just that...."helliens". otis is my source of unconditional love. at times he really drives me crazy since i can't even leave a room without him on my heels. i have to sneak out of the house so he doesn't "freak out" that i am gone. he loves everyone else in the house as they do him, but I am HIS. i know what you're saying about the neighbors since his "yelp" is ear-piercing (i can't believe how many different voices/barks otis has). our neighbor puts up with otis' "yelping" , for me, but times two is tooooo much. her bird is now mimmicking his ear-piercing yelp. :)

well anyway, my thought is maybe separation anxiety (from you)? just a thought. vicky

Hi! I believe consistency in training and an occasional "time-out" can work wonders for your Cairn. My 7 month old lil guy really likes to bite your legs when he wants to play - - which is every day all day long!! - - I will put him in his crate or outside on my deck for a 10 -15 minute time-out - - this works well for him. When I finally get him, he is all "kisses" and has forgotten about the biting - - however - - still wants to play!!! Other than that - - and an occasional accident in the house - - I have no problems with him! They are definitely - - - little rascals!!!!!

Archived