CairnTalk

Working Terrier Class

dmb90260

Brad may have the information but anyone else should chime in.

On several other lists I belong there is much talk about adding a Working Terrier Class for Conformation at shows that do not offer BOS.

This is one way to pay tribute to the Cairns that are actually doing what they are bred for. It might even encourage some of the Show Cairns to get dirty too.

It is my understanding that the class (for Cairns) would be open only to dogs with Earthdog titles, separate classes for dogs and bitches. Since there is no BOS, spayed and neutered dogs would be allowed. I believe clipped coats could be allowed also.

Winners of the Working Terrier Class would be considered for BOB.

I am very interested in getting this class for our Specialty in 2007, the premium deadline for '06 will not allow it this year.

I plan on bringing this up at our club meeting in March.

Any additional information or sources would be greatly appreciated.

I sure think it's a terrific idea.

My understanding of the class is that it is simply another non-regular class (like veterans). As a non-regular class, the winners (dog and bitch) move in to compete with the specials and WD/WB for best of breed (or best opp or award of merit) - not eligble for best of winners, presumably.

The requirements for entry in the class are subject to approval by AKC and the parent club (I believe). I'm really hazy on the exact circumstances or type of show that allows altered veterans to compete. I believe the BTCA specify intact for their National.

Since the dogs would be competing head-head for best of breed, I'd be mighty surprised to see any clipped coats in there.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

My understanding of the class is that it is simply another non-regular class (like veterans). As a non-regular class, the winners (dog and bitch)  move in to compete with the specials and WD/WB for best of breed (or best opp or award of merit) .

Since the dogs would be competing head-head for best of breed, I'd be mighty surprised to see any clipped coats in there.

Veterans is what I was thinking about, the real object is to honor these dogs. I did see the BTCA specified intact at GWTA last year. Since that is not required for Veterans I see no reason to require it for Working Terriers.

They do fall outside of the Winners classes.

As far as clippering, I am thinking of those older dogs who forego the knife these days but are fine Earthdogs. It is not likely they would win but it is about honoring them. (I have a 14 yr old ME bitch who I would love to take around the ring but I doubt she will be up to in another year.)

Too many show people have no clue about these dogs and they could use the exposure (people and dogs).

Do you have any suggestions where I can take this proposal for more information?

Who comes first? The National Club or AKC?

Welcome to Cairn Talk, Dennis.

I'm not really an expert in this area. I came across this the same way you did, pretty much, and am trying to understand and learn about it as we go.

I eagerly await the outcome of the March board meeting where those with way more show-giving experience will be discussing it. I think after that regional clubs might have some guidance on how to implement it. I believe that regional clubs need parent club approval to add classes to specialties. I suspect it's possible for a regional club to define their club specialty entry requirements differently than the national does, so long as the specifics are approved by both AKC and CTCA. I'm just talking through my hat at the moment, though. :P

You can't go wrong talking to AKC about how it all works.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

This is were I am with AKC, read them in reverse order and they will make more sense. (I will add any replies I receive.)

To: "Event Plans" <eventplans@akc.org>

Subject: Re: Working terriers

Ms. Richards

Thank you for the prompt answer. Although it is not specifically mentioned, I am assuming that a Working Terrier Class is allowed.

Does the club decide if the class entrants must be intact? May we treat them as the Veteran Class and allowed them to be spayed or neutered since there is no Best In Show at the Specialty?

Do you have any sample verbage that can be included in the premium?

Mr. Broderick:

Non-Regular Classes:

Clubs have the prerogative of establishing additional non-regular classes. The requirements for eligibility must be established and stated in the premium list. The AKC must approve the eligibility requirements for any non-regular classes before they appear in the premium list.

Ribbons may be offered for four places or for the first place only and must be listed in the premium list.

Non-Regular classes may be single-dog entry (only one dog is judged) or multiple-dog-entry (two or more dogs are judged together in as a unit). The winners of single-dog-entry classes, if otherwise undefeated in the show, compete for Best of Breed/Variety; the winners of multiple-dog-entry classes do not.

Single Dog Entries:

All Non-Regular Classes for single-dog entries at independent and designated specialties may be scheduled at any time before the Best of Breed or Variety.

These classes must be divided by sex.

The Most common non-regular-single dog-entry breed classes are:

Veterans Class:

The Veterans class is for dogs and bitches who meet a minimum age requirement set by the club. The class may be split further into age divisions. If the class is split, each first place is eligible to compete for Best of Breed.

Field Trial Class:

The Field Trial Class is for dogs and bitches that have place in an AKC licensed or member field trial. In certain breeds, having Field Trials Judges Awards of Merit or parent club field titles may be included in the eligibility requirements.

Sue Richards

Online Management

Event Operations

Juniors

919-816-3776

smr@akc.org

When responding to this email, please include all previous emails.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 2:19 PM

To: awards

Subject: Working Terrier

I am seeking information on how to set up a non-regular conformation class for Working Terriers.

This would be for Cairn Terriers with Earthdog titles and be offered at our annual Specialty.

I would appreciate any information and a contact if I have further questions.

Thank you.

Dennis Broderick

<dmb.theprez@verizon.net>

This is the latest sort of specific response.....

Mr. Broderick:

In response to your questions:

Thank you for the prompt answer. Although it is not specifically mentioned, I am assuming that a Working Terrier Class is allowed.

Does the club decide if the class entrants must be intact? May we treat them as the Veteran Class and allowed them to be spayed or neutered since there is no Best In Show at the Specialty?

According to the Rules Applying to Dog Shows Chapter 11 Section 8: (please note enlarged section of Ruling)

SECTION 8. A dog which is blind, deaf, castrated,

spayed, or which has been changed in appearance by

artificial means except as specified in the standard for

its breed, or a male which does not have two normal

testicles normally located in the scrotum, may not compete

at any show and will be disqualified except that a

castrated male may be entered as Stud Dog in the Stud

Dog Class and a spayed bitch may be entered as Brood

Bitch in the Brood Bitch Class. A dog will not be considered

to have been changed by artificial means

because of removal of dewclaws or docking of tail if it

is of a breed in which such removal or docking is a regularly

approved practice which is not contrary to the

standard. Neutered dogs and spayed bitches would be

allowed to compete in Veterans Classes only at independent

specialties and/or those all-breed shows

which do not offer any competitive classes beyond Best of Breed.

Do you have any sample verbage that can be included in the premium?

Each individual club must come up with their own verbiage. AKC will review and approve.

Thank You,

Sue Richards

I will post the class description when I come up with it.

Archived