CairnTalk

Puppy Obedience Training

purebella

Bella started last week - not sure if she is too young - nearly 5 months, but I decided to start going now as you can never start to early, great way for her to interact with other dogs & gives her something new and interesting to do!

We learnt some basic heel work and sit/drop (she wasnt keen on the dropping - I just cant get her to drop! :D ) and then go to do an obstacle course which included going around, over, through and under bits and pieces.

Just wondered if others have taken their Cairns to obedience classes and how have they gone? ie are they stubborn to train etc :whistle:

Packy loves going to school! In fact, we just got an e-mail from his teachers from last Spring and they've invited him to come back for the Advanced Class! I was very surprised, but he did very well in class even though he's a very social little guy. Once he got over the "hellos" when we first saw everyone, he got down to business and really gave me his attention. That's not to say that we didn't have a few tough ones. I thought we would never get Packy to do "Down" (is that like your "Drop"?). It took 2 of us to get him on the floor, but it only took a few tries and he had it on his own. We're really looking forward to the Advanced class, because they're going to teach us some Agility, too.

Of course, most of the class is training us and not the dogs -- just keep working with Bella and I bet she'll do fine.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Savannah loved school too. It really helped us to form a bond that I don't think that we would have gotten any other way. Plus the commands are helpful and fun to show off to friends and family. Savannah was also resistant to "down" but she will now do it. I am very glad that we did the class and look forward to enrolling her in another one soon.

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Archived