CairnTalk

Occasional Housebreaking

My 10 week old cairn---still very young, I know, seems to get the hang of using newspapers to pee on. Really very good at it when we're in the house or the garage (where he sleeps) and will go outside, also, if we happen to be there!! But refuses to use them to poop--if he's inside, only the carpet will do---or, again. will go outside if we happen to be there at the moment..........I'm perplexed...........anyone else had this happen??

Have you considered crate training him? Having the crate in the house? And, only going outside to do his business. I am not a big fan of 'paper training'. I think he may be confused.

We kept his crate in the kitchen and blocked off the rest of the house with gates until just recently. I watched him literally every second and as soon as he'd start to squat- out he went. I heaped praise and treats when he pottied OUTSIDE. Used a firm 'no-no' when he started to squat in the house. I took him out every 15-20 minutes at first.

Make sure to feed him about the same times everyday. So he can follow a schedule just like infants do :).

Our little guy is now 6 months old. Still don't completely trust him, but he is getting better everyday. No accidents in the house for about a month now-knock on wood! We have been gradually letting him have more and more freedom. He still finds 'things' he is not supposed to have. Loves dirty socks! He still goes in the crate if I leave the house and at night. All I have to say is 'go nite-nite' and in he goes on his own now. Doesn't seem to mind a bit. Even goes in there for naps at times.

Do a "google" search on crate training. Or, perhaps check at the bookstores and library. I did alot of reading even though this is my 4th dog that I have had to housebreak.

Your persistance and consistancy the first few weeks will pay off. Hang in there.

Cathy

Archived