CairnTalk

Off the furniture!

Good answer! We had the same problem recently, when we put new furniture and didn't want Sammy on it.

We bought him a big pillow and a nice looking large wicker basket and put it in the family room. We trained (and bribed) him to go to his "pillow". Now every time we turn our heads he goes over to his "pillow" to rest and ignores the furniture. Every once in a while he "forgets" (or is testing us :) and gets on the couch. When I ask him to go to his pillow (usually by the third, loudly enunciated time) he will get off the couch.

I think it is important for him to have a comfortable place to be that he can call his own. I think it makes it easier to train him not to get on the couch.

Sam

Our little guy (5 1/2 months) still hasn't got the hang of jumping on the couch.

Can you believe my hubby is TRAINING him to get up there!!!! He wants a snuggler for the approaching winter months.

Cathy

That's a nice idea. But our Wes has also become a pirhana. (You know with big BIG TEETH.) We're afraid he'll eat through the couch. He's already gone threw a few pillows. Boy, am I hoping this is just a stage he's going through.

Yeah, Cathy, I thought I wouldn't mind Wes on the couch either. I had the same thoughts as your husband- I'm always cold, and the doggie could have been my little electric blanket.

I just didn't anticipate his eating all the furniture! LOL

Hi! Riley has been jumping on my new furniture since about 5 months old - - I always have a chew toy ready for him so he doesn't eat the sofa!! He is pretty good about getting down and actually prefers the rug to any furniture. The other day he jumped on the chair I was sitting on - - thought maybe for a moment I had acquired a CAT!!!!! They are crazy little dogs!!! lol

How does he get down, once he's already up there? Maybe that's one of my biggest worries.

A few months ago, mine fell from the height of the couch and limped for a

week.

Thanks

My little male sails off the furniture - - he is quite a jumper and so far has suffered no injuries. He almost dances when he walks - - maybe just his personality coming out!!

My male loves jumping on & off the sofa. We have jumps, tunnels and boards set up for him in the back yard and he loves to play.

I just got a Jeep Liberty and he use to jump in and out of my car. Now it is a little different. He is not crazy about being picked up but does not like the jump from the seat so he figured out to jump to the floor then out the door. I think he knows how far he should jump.

He is very sturdy! The muscles in his front legs are strong. He does alot of digging and running. He also loves to walk. It is not uncommon to walk 1-3 miles.

He loves to climb the stairs in our house a lie at the top and watch everything that is going on. We have had big outside dogs our entire life and this one acts like he is a big dog!

• 3 weeks later...

Our 5 month old Cairn, Scully, has been jumping off of steps, etc. since we got her at 10 weeks of age. She has NO fear whatsoever :twisted:

She recently started jumping onto our laps, which I don't mind so much since my other Cairn did that for many years. The only difference is my other Cairn was a calm type and would lie there for hours on my lap. This one wants to bite anything and everything you are wearing, or your arms or legs. I'm torn because I like having her on our lap - especially for those five minutes she might be calm - or the occasional time at night when she will fall asleep. The flip side is there is one chair that she keeps jumping onto where no one sits and I really don't want her jumping up.

The poor puppy probably can't tell why it's okay to sit on our lap but it's not okay to go jump on a chair.

Petsmart has this plastic thing that acts like a mousetrap but can't hurt them at all. You place it on a chair and supposedly after the thing snaps (not on them) they'll be discouraged from getting from jumping up.

Scully hasn't chewed anything - well, except for us. When does this biting madness end????? :cry:

Piper is a little over 6 months old. She has greatly reduced her amount of biting. She rarely bites now unless it's during 'crazy time' (IE, after dinner).

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I'm hoping Scully follows Piper's time schedule on the biting issue. This has really thrown me for a loop because my other Cairn did NONE of the things that Scully is doing. My husband has a little water gun and boy does she hate to see dad picking that up when she's doing something bad. You don't even have to say a word to her.

I'm wondering whether in the next month or so when we have her fixed if that will help calm her down any.

Piper and our previous cairn, Lucy, both went through this little bitey phase. I noticed a great reduction in the biting in Lucy after we had her spayed. We had Piper spayed on Friday so it will be interesting to see how she behaves after she recovers completely from her surgery as well.

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I hope Piper has a speedy recovery. You've given me hope that there's a light at the end of the biting tunnel....LOL! :angel:

Scully is such a clown - and she's in the right family - she's hard-headed and doesn't listen (except when you have a squirt gun in your hand) :D

Thanks for responding to my question!

Heh, heh, speedy, isn't that the way a cairn does everything? LOL!! She's coming along well but we're having a hard time keeping her calm.

I hope Scully overcomes her biting soon. ;)

Archived