CairnTalk

Male or Female

We are considering getting a cairn puppy, not sure which would be better for us, male or female. Concerned with house training and all around temperment. Which makes for a better pet? Breeding is not an issue, we will have spayed or neutered.

When I was looking I talked alot with the breeder. She told me that the males were more loving and the females were bossy. We got a male and using the crate works great!

That's a hard one to say for someone else. I have only had females and that's all I ever want to have in the future.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I had always had female dogs. This time we got a male and a female. Gracie (female) is very loving, smart laid back ( as much as a Cairn can be) George is excited all of the time very loving. Housebreaking with a crate is the way to go. They still have accidents especially Gracie if it's raining outside. They are both smart as can be and love to be anywhere we are. Gracie is a Daddy's girl and George is a Mamas boy. Male or Female it depends on the puppy's temperment. I don't see how you can go wrong with a Cairn. It's great having two...they are great entertainers!

Get one of each!!! :shock:

I agree that this is a tough questions.

When we decided we were getting a pup and more specifically a Cairn, I was originlally insistant on getting a Female as I understood them to be more even tempered and I was concerned about "leg humping".

When we went to our local breeder, we actually passed over 2 males waiting for another litter but when we came back several weeks later and played with Cody, it was love at first sight.

We have found our male to be great, with no leg humping (although he does have an affection for one of our couch pillows). He listens very well, loves both our male and female friends and is training very well. He just seems eager to please.

Since they are relatively small dogs, I don't think you need to worry about them lifting their legs on anything in the house as Cody still squats when he pees. So, I am sorry if I have not given you any help but I think it is really up to the owner and their wants when it comes to Cairns.

Probably matching the personality of the individual dog to your family's lifestyle is more important overall. This is where working with a breeder really pays off. Experienced breeders can be very perceptive in 'matchmaking' if you give them enough information.

I also confidently predict that the Senator, some day, will adopt the 'tripod' approach to business rather than squatting. (Not that he necessarily will be doing it in the house, I'm just talkin' style). Sometimes as they make the transition, hilarity ensues. Like carefully angling up to something in preparation for marking it and then hiking the outside (wrong) leg. Or hiking a leg and tipping over. :oops:

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 1 month later...

We had the same feelings going into buying a Cairn. We looked at what was written about both and decided to go with the male because it is supposed to be more loving and affectionate. I can confidently say that Tucker definately fits the bill! He gets SO excited when I get home from work that he yips and barks up and down. He won't settle down until I pet him and let him lick me on the face and nip my ears. I love it when he does that! I read that Cairns are not usually lap dogs, but when calmed down, Tucker will curl up on our laps for very long periods of time.

He's our first Cairn and he's been a little bit of a challenge, but very well behaved over all. Still goin' through the dreaded "puppy stage" type stuff, though, but we're pretty happy with him. I think it all just depends on what you want out of the dog then run with it!

Archived