CairnTalk

Cairn vs. Westie

Guest Dan Jaggers

Guest Dan Jaggers

As of a few weeks ago we had two Westies. Our male Westie died of kidney failure. He had just turned 7 years old. It was devastating. We got him from a pet store, which in turn probably got him from a puppy mill.

Anyway, we want another dog to be with our female westie. She is 6 years old. We are trying to determine what breed to get and what gender.

I'm debating whether to get another Westie or a Cairn. I have a few questions:

From a behavior perspective how different is a Cairn from a Westie?

I have read that a female terrier typically doesn't get along well with another female terrier. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Our male westie gave affection where our female wants to recive affection when she wants it. Plus our male dog was much more playful than the female. Do Cairns behave like this as well?

Please post anything else that would be helpful for us to make this decision.

Thanks.

Welcome, Dan.

I am so sorry for the loss of your Westie. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet. I know your heartache all too well. We lost our 13 year old Cairn this fall.

As far as the differences between a Westie and Cairn, I have heard that they are indeed very similar in personality. I have owned only two Cairns, one female and the one we now have, a male, Piper. I will more than likely never have any other breed. I love them that much!!

The differences we have found male vs female.....our female was affectionate but on her terms, as you described. Our male is more lovey but, he is also more dominant. I know that doesn't make much sense!! We loved them both even though they were so different.

One thing I am reluctant about with Westies is their possible skin problems. I know that they are prone to having them and from what I have researched, it can be a tough road to travel. Not to mention costly.

We started looking at puppies after the death of Toto, but, I guess I just wasn't ready yet. The breeder recommended that we concentrate on the personality of the puppy rather than just the sex. Piper tends to try to be alpha, so we were looking for a more submissive puppy. He was brought into our home with a very established female that was not gonna take much from him. So, we lucked out with the mix.

We were very close to choosing a female for that reason and, the fact of mixing the sexes. She had a male that she thought would be ok, too. We would have brought Piper to visit the pups first had we gone forward. But, like I mentioned, we postponed as I just didn't feel ready.

Other members will be along shortly to give their thoughts. Everyone has had their own experiences but that doesn't mean what worked for me/them will work for you.

My recommendation would be to find a good breeder that is willing to work with you on finding the right dog for you AND your current Westie.

Good luck with your search and I hope it all works out for you.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

We had a cairn first (although, since I had gotten Pluto at the pound, I never knew he was a cairn when we had him!!!). He lived with us for close to 16 years. The dog chosen to replace him was a female Westie, followed by a second one about six months later. Both those dogs (who were not related) died from small white dog shaking syndrome. It is not a disease only small white dogs get, but any white or light colored dog can get it. I would compare it to lupus in a human. It is not contagious...we just got lucky??? Anyway, we lost both those dogs befor they were seven years old and it is for that reason that I would never get another Westie.

I really see no difference between cairns and Westies....they are both terriers, they look the same except for their coloring. And boy....do they ever act the same!

I am sorry for the loss of your dog and I hope you find a new one who will make you just as happy as that one did.

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

There is no comparison, Cairn all the way! :)

I would say that due to the fact the Westies are more popular and more widely bred, you would have to be more careful when choosing a dog/breeder to make sure you get a healthy dog. My parents have a Westie, and he doesn't look nearly as robust and healthy as my Cairn. And frankly I think mine is alot smarter, but thats subjective. My parents are continually amazed at my Cairns gerth, energy and bright-eyed appearance. Not to mention how much of a lover he is.

As someone mentioned before, White Dog syndrome is a concern. Also, Westies have a tendency to look dingy after a couple of years, hard to keep them looking snow white.

All in all, IMO Cairns are a more dependable breed, although it is certainly possible to get a sick Cairn. And I like having a dog that people don't know about. Of course take this at face value because me and probably most others here are going to have a very PARTIAL opinion on the matter.

Good luck!

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

We did TONS of research on the Westie breed and is exactly what we were looking for (down the road). We had also researched Cairns as well. They are from the same line of terrier breed and we really didn't see much difference in either breed. We had decided that which ever one we came across when the time was right is what we would get.

Well..... fast forward to March of this year... when we met our Darcy. She was up for adoption through a wonderful group who stations themselves at a local PetSmart. Darcy's mother (a westie) was at a puppy mill (unfortunately) and had an "accidental" breeding with a chihuahua. The stupid puppy mill didn't want the mother OR the pups so the mother went to a "senior animal" ranch to retire and live life out without any more breedings. The pups were up for adoption. Now no offense to Chihuahua lovers, but Darcy is all Westie with just the wrong coloring - although we LOVE her coloring. She is pure terrier as far as we are concerned and we were glad to have found a pup a home who needed to be adopted and it met our needs of wanting a terrier.

Darcy fits all the descriptions of Westies & Cairns. She is mistaken for a Cairn ALL the time. She does prefer to do things on "her" terms, but will follow us everywhere we go in the house.

At any rate, I would think you would want to focus on the pup whose personality to like the best. I think either way you go (westie or cairn) you really can't go wrong. As long as you like the personality.

Good luck to you in your venture of finding a new pup, and I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

I've not owned a Westie before, but know several people who do and they are very similar in personality to my cairns. The obvious differences, however, would be their coats and how you care for them. One of the reasons I chose the cairn over a westie was that I love the harsh coat, the non-shedding and didn't want a dog that needed to be clippered. Now, I understand that there are cairn owners who do choose to have their cairns groomed in a westie cut, and that's their perrogative. I like the wild, unkempt, windblown look of a cairn.

Thela

From all sources I've heard, Cairns and Westies have similar personalities. I've only owned Cairns. Our first, Lucy, had a comparable personality/disposition to our current female, Piper. Our neighbors had a Westie, and she seemed to be much the same as both my girls, just white. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Dear Dan,

I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Westie boy. I, too, know the deep sadness over the loss of a beloved pet as we lost our 6 year old little girl this past April.

We had adopted a little Cairn boy just for her as a companion when she suddenly got ill and passed away one month after we got him at 8 weeks old.

We now have adopted female, from the same breeder, who just turned 5 months old as his new companion. They get along very well.

As for the differences between Westies and Cairns the list must be a very short one.

My best friend owns two Westies, a male & female, and we spend a lot of time togerther. I discern very few differences between the two breeds. The color, size & popularity being the main differences.

Personality & temperament are very similar to the Cairn. My friend's two Westies are very smart, active and have wonderful, entertaining personalities.

Skin conditions can occur with Cairns as well as Westies. Although, I am not sure if Westies are more prone to skin allergies than Cairns.

Grooming is also pretty much the same. As Westies have a harsh outer coat & can be handstripped as well.

I am sure which ever way you choose to go, your new companion will be a much loved and treasured part of your family.

Best of luck,

Barbara

Guest posting as: pam

I am so sorry about the loss of your Westie. I lost my Westie Mac when he was seven from kidney problems, just three years ago.

I have had Mackie and two other Westies, and today I have a Westie and a Cairn. Both rescues. They "complement" each other's personalities wonderfully. I have never had a Cairn but this little guy, at 6 years old, is just a love. He is a tough little dog with a lot of energy but mellowed down from puppy craziness. He is very affectionate and also talkative; you can tell he loves pets, tummy rubs etc. My Westie is the Alpha dog in a way. The two dogs roughhouse but cuddle up at night.

Since I have had several Westies, I know they are wonderful dogs. But the Cairn is a great companion for my Westie now. I want to get another Cairn some day- another adult rescue since I'm not around during the day to manage bringing up a puppy.

At least judging from my two, I don't think you can go wrong having a Westie and a Cairn together as companions.

I had a Westie for 14 years and have had Cairns since June (pups). My Westie was the best dog ever. I love my Cairns lots, but they do seem rowdier than she was. I will have Westies again and probably will get more Cairns when these pass on one day. A boy/girl combo works well for me now and in the past.

Dan, I am so sorry for your loss. I can speak with some confidence on this subject as I too have a Cairn and Westie, both males (and neutered). Duffy the Cairn is 2 years old and Mickey the Westie just turned one year. They are both wonderful dogs and compliment each other and get along very well. Here are my observations regarding the similarities and differences between the breeds;

Similarities;

Both are extremely intelligent

Both were VERY easy to housebreak

Both are very vocal (both barking and "talking")

Both are excellent with people

Differences;

My Westie minds better than my Cairn

The Westie is very eager to show affection, while the Cairn is more aloof and wants love and attention when he is in the mood for it

I am very glad that I have one of each breed. They are both wonderful dogs and we love them dearly. I'm sure that if you choose a Cairn, you will be very happy with your choice.

Mike

Yeah - I was wondering when MikeC would chime in. :) BTW - please post new pics of Duffy and Mickey (yes I know I still owe the forum pics of Bosco!) :shy:

Hi Milopup,

If you go to page 9 of Cairn Life, there is a post under "new pic of Duffy and Mickey" that I posted the latter part of October. My guys are really growing up.

Mike

Archived