CairnTalk

Dewclaws

Guest Patty

This is a guess, but I think the dew claws can be removed. Both Brody and Mia came from show breeders and had their dew claws removed as young puppies, before it was determined they were not show quality.

• 2 weeks later...

What happens if the dew claws are not removed? I was poking around on Rocko and noticed he still has his and they 'loose'. Is this normal? He's 13 weeks now and I dodn't ask about it when I got him. He's been checked out by our vet who has trimmed his nails twice and he didn't say anything about them. Now that I've looked at them, I'm kinda scared that they may come off.

Lynn

What happens if the dew claws are not removed?  I was poking around on Rocko and noticed he still has his and they 'loose'.  Is this normal?  He's 13 weeks now and I dodn't ask about it when I got him.  He's been checked out by our vet who has trimmed his nails twice and he didn't say anything about them.  Now that I've looked at them, I'm kinda scared that they may come off. 

Lynn

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Lynn,

There really is no need to remove dew claws, in fact there is a French breed (Breu something or other, about the size of a German Shepherd) that has lots of them and cannot be shown without them.

Most breeders remove dew claws because there is a small chance that they may get caught on bushes or other things and rip, which is really messy and bloody. They don't serve any purpose, so removing them is a precaution. If you are planning to have your dog neutered you can have the dew claws removed at the same time.

Stacey

Stacey

Archived