CairnTalk

'Green' Chews and Treats

Maggie15

My breeder told me yesterday to stay away from the green coloured treat/chews. I've never given them to my pup, but i did see them in the petstore in x-mas stocking for dogs. Apparently they've had problems with a Cairn and others getting very sick from them specifically.

Has any heard of any health related concern on these green coloured treats?? May be best to avoid them.

a

:!: Do not give your dog Greenies! They are dangerous. There have been many deaths attributed to these dog/cat treats. Dogs bite off large chunks of these and swallow them. The pieces swallowed often have sharp edges. Greenies do not digest well (or at all), sometimes resulting in blockages or perforation of the intestines or stomach (which can be fatal). Our local "healthy" pet store just took them off the shelves.

Mark N

Does this warning also apply to the Nylabone green 'Toothbrush' chews?

We gave Pepper one of these last week and she munched a hugh chunk off it. She had green poop for a day.

Stewart, I would stay away from those too.

We have to be sooooo careful when we give our dogs chewies.....so many of them can be chewed until they become choking size.

I, thankfully, heard about greenies before I gave any to my dogs......whew!

is there a mechanism for dog clubs, akc, ckc etc. to lobby stores or manufacturers to remove these from their shelves?...

thanks for verifying!!

a

Markn,

my dog died from a greenie this summer. he went through the surgery to have it removed - died 48 hours later ( a mini daschie). my wife and i are devastated.

i'd like to personally thank the store in your area that yanked the product off the shelves. could you please put me in touch with them

thanks,

mike eastwood

mhenyc@yahoo.com

mhenyc, I am so sorry to hear about your loss, thats awful. I hope you don't blame yourself, these things can happen.

What I would say is this, anything chewable, and swallowable from pet stores is not good for our dogs. Absolutely none of it on the market is acceptable for Cairns, mainly because of their ability to destroy toys. I went through this with rawhide because Digby loves it, absolutely loves it. But I soon learned it is not good for him when he almost choked in front of me.

I no longer give him rawhide, never gave a greenie or anything that is fabric . I only allow rubber toys now, Orbee and Dogs in Action toys are great. Took him a while to adjust but thankfully he did and I don't have to worry because he can not wreck them-yet.

There are few vets and even fewer breeders that will recommend these types of toys to occupy a Cairns time, for some people I think they give them just to keep the dog occupied beucause they don't have time. But it can be scary to watch your dogs choke in front of you, and even worse to watch them die.

I would recommend staying away from all of those types of chew toys with Cairns unless you can assure safety.

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

Markn,

my dog died from a greenie this summer. he went through the surgery to have it removed - died 48 hours later ( a mini daschie). my wife and i are devastated.

i'd like to personally thank the store in your area that yanked the product off the shelves. could you please put me in touch with them

thanks,

mike eastwood

mhenyc@yahoo.com

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am so sorry to hear of the losss of your little dog.

The store that we go to is a "natural" pet store called Earth Pet in Issaquah, Washington ( a suburb of Seattle). Here is a link to their website:

http://earthpet.net/

This store, like many other pet stores, had a wide selection of greenies until they took them off the shelves last week. The owner of the store told me that when Greenies first came out they were made by a small company. Early on, there was one death attributed to a Greenie. The company didn't think that it was any big deal. Now, with Greenie's selling over 300 million of these things (per their website), death reports have been coming in from everywhere.

Last week, our local TV station, KIRO, had an investigative report on the dangers of Greenie's. Here is a link to this news story:

http://www.kirotv.com/investigations/5325021/detail.html

Mark....my son just looked at housing in Issaquah, WA a few months ago!! He is planning a move to that area this coming spring.

I will mention that store to him as they have an Airedale!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Mark....my son just looked at housing in Issaquah, WA a few months ago!!  He is planning a move to that area this coming spring.

I will mention that store to him as they have an Airedale!!

Cathy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cathy,

We also moved here from Illinois, Downers Grove to be exact. Your son will love Issaquah/Sammamish.

Mark N

Guest rottndobie
What I would say is this, anything chewable, and swallowable from pet stores is not good for our dogs. Absolutely none of it on the market is acceptable for Cairns, mainly because of their ability to destroy toys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I so disagree here with your statement. Just because YOU have had a bad experience with rawhides is no reason to blanketly say they are no good. I have fed rawhides for over 35 years to countless dogs, including Shadow, without any problems whatsoever. In fact, due to feeding rawhides at least 2-3 time a week my dogs have NEVER had their teeth cleaned. To me that is worth a lot.. Yes, they need to be supervised when you give it to them but that is not or should not be a problem.

Archived