CairnTalk

Greenie Alert

Guest rottndobie

Guest rottndobie
HI,

GREENIE DEATH

My dog died on July 25, 2005 from a Greenie. It caused severe internal damage, had to be surgically removed, and caused his death 48 hours later. I would like to hear from anyone that has similar experiences with this product (hopefully not with the same outcome as mine). I urge you all to think twice about this product.

SImply put: Greenies: you dog can live without them.

Thanks,

Mike Eastwood

on behalf of my beloved, deceased "Burt" the mini daschund.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh my Mike. I am so very sorry to read this. I have heard the horror stories before. I know of 1 Dobe who died as a result of Greenies and one who required intestinal surgery but did survive. I just can't believe that there are people here and out there who will still give them inspite of hearing and reading about these tragic stories. You have my deepest sympathies on the needless passing of your boy.

I do hope you have either contacted the manufacturer or will contact them. In the past they have paid medical costs. I know that is no comfort to you but at least maybe it will show them that their product is NOT safe...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rottndobie

Mike - If you see this -

I tried e-mailing you at the address you gave me off dogster. However it was rejected - saying "This account has been disabled or discontinued"

You may e-mail me privately at rottndobie@yahoo.com Howrever, this is what I was trying to send you...

Got your e-mail at dogster.. Far as who the other Dobe was, that was quite sometime ago and I really don't remember the owners name. I have a Doberman forum and she posted there for a while. Told her story about the Greenies. She only had 1 Dobe and after he died she stopped posting. I do remember that a couple years ago she did get another Dobe. This must have been at least 3 years ago this whole thing happened. I do know she did contact the manufacturer and they did pay for all her vet bill.

Sorry I could not have been more help. However, good luck in your pursuing the

manufacturer. These things are the worst treats out there.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it funny that once the stories about the deaths & choking became wide spread all over the internet that Greenies suddenly changed their website & packaging. Here's an idea...maybe they should have done that years ago after the first death! Here is a fun little test. Take a rawhide, a biscuit & a greenie. take 3 bowls of water, completly soak the rawhide in one bowl, the biscuit in another & a greenie in yet another. At the end of the day, what treat has not soften all the way through? Take a wild guess? As consumers it is your chose as to what you purchase. My dogs are dear to me and I will not take a chance with their lives. I do not feed my dogs Greenies. As for rawhides, I also choose not to give them those either.

Wow is this timely. During a discussion of dog treats at the doggie birthday party last night, I mentioned to the other dog owners that greenies are not safe. The owners of the little doxie puppy said they had only tried greenies once -- the smallest, supposedly safe for all dogs size -- and their pup had thrown it up. My cousin, a dobie owner and active dog park participant, had not heard this, and her dobie is a gulper. (She makes her own dog food though, so Xena does not get store-bought treats.) She's going to pass the info along at the park.

I think I'll make a few flyers and leave them down at the dog park here inside the "extra bags" box so other dog owners know about the dangers.

Guest posting as: markn

My one year old cairn has had a few bad experiences with Greenies. Both involved choking on large pieces. In both cases I had to do the heimlich maneauver on him. He's had problems with rawhide "dental chews" as well. The only chew thing we give him now is a two foot bully stick (he tries to swallow down the small size).

Guest Darcy's Mom

Fortunately, we have never given our pups Greenies but they are heavily pushed in all the pet supply stores. I printed out this whole post and showed it to my boss rather than trying to explain it to him. They have a large breed dog and he had just told me the other day that they gave her a Greenie treat every night after she eats. It scared me so bad I immediately printed this out and he said they would not be giving her any more Greenies and also that " I thought they were digestible." Thank you, maybe this post saved countless other pups. Knowledge is power after all.

Now everytime I go in a store that sells them, I have to bite my tongue! Just yesterday I came across a huge display of all sorts of Greenies right on an end aisle. I soooooo wanted to say something to the owner!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

• 4 weeks later...
Guest rottndobie
Bump.....Here's a response from the company....

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/greenies.asp

Cathy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And what - we are supposed to monitor how big a bite our dogs take?? Come on - give me a brake. I still think the company is trying to white-wash these incidence.

Everyone knows that keeping the teeth and gums clean and tarter free is the way to go - I prefer pressed (compressed) rawhide to do that job....

In the healthcare industry, products that cause death or any other bad side effects get pulled out of the market immediately (e.g. Vioxx) even if there is no direct link established to the drug or product (e.g., silicon breast implants). Then further tests are done, and sometimes, the manufacturer will find out that the side effects are not entirely due to their product (what they are now saying about the silicon breast implants not causing cancer). What I'm saying is it is a bit perplexing to me that the manufacturer of Greenies is not pulling them out of the market and do tests to prove their point (without hurting another dog). The amount of incidents and complaints is increasing. It seems to me that as long as there are other people buying Greenies, and I know there are lots of them, they will continue to stay on the market.

Guest rottndobie

I'm afraid it is called the almighty dollar. The pet industry is big business and there is no watch-dog like the FDA to monitor things like this. Obviously this company is all for the profit from Greenie and won't take any blame for the problems with Greenies. So very sad... I really feel bad for all the dogs getting Greenies, particularly with the holidays around the corner. Wonder how many will be in Xmas stockings and how many will not see another Xmas??!!

This morning on the radio they did a teaser for Atlana's Channel 2 news about greenies. An investigative report. When it makes the local channels I think you will see less of them. I am going to watch and see if you crew will let me

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

If the owner of the company stops producing Greenies, I am sure his wallet will take a huge hit.

I think the only thing we can do at this point is to pass the info along to everyone we know. I think that the next time I go in to purchase dog food at my local pet store (not a chain), I WILL say something!!

Cathy

Edited to add.....my neighbors just brought a new puppy home and I have already mentioned the dangers of Greenies to them.

Cathy and Piper

• 2 months later...
Guest tonilyn

My one year old cairn has had a few bad experiences with Greenies. Both involved choking on large pieces. In both cases I had to do the heimlich maneauver on him. He's had problems with rawhide "dental chews" as well. The only chew thing we give him now is a two foot bully stick (he tries to swallow down the small size).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest tonilyn

Hi, two years ago, I had a dog die from undigested Rawhide. Vet says it swelled in her tummy and she was unable to pass it. She was dead in less than 48 hours.

My family greived in disbelief. She was fine one day enjoying her "treat" then she two days later she she was laying on the deck dead.

I'm not surprised at the reaction this minor news is creating. I would honestly like to see a study that compares percentages of pet deaths related to greenies, raw hides, pig ears, underware, rope bones, etc. My guess would be that the percentages of deaths related to the number sold (except for underware and other household items not intended as treats or pet toys) would be very comparable across the board. The company has a right to not be overly concerned and pull the items when they sell millions per day and less than 100 deaths have been reported.

Everything in life,pets' and humans' lives, carries potential hazards. If people can't figure that out before they engage in something, I feel sorry for them. If every company had to shut down because of adverse effects caused by their products, there would be a whole lot of nothing for us to buy, do and enjoy.

I'm feel bad for those of you who have lost your pets to greenies. However, my mini dachshund will continue to receive his favorite treat, and my cat will continue to receive his favorite treat, greenies. The ones that are recommended for their size. In all, I worry about my dog getting an impacted gut from chewing on my couch cushions than I do on greenies.

Cheers!

Midwest Mini D. Owner

CNN had a special report on this topic just this week and they spoke with owners who had lost their dogs. They also spoke with a few vets who talked about the problem with this product. And, they interviewed the owner of Greenies who insisted his product was safe based on the number sold vs the injuries encountered. Obviously I do not plan to risk Ruby's health by giving her Greenies, but I wonder if other "dental chews" carry the same risks?

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and found it while searching for information on Greenies. We have 2 Cairns (ages 4 and 11). We've been giving them Greenies for the past 9 months or so. They have recently been hacking and vomitting as they wake in the morning. Usually it's just "bile". I worry that these devil Greenies may be in their intestinal tract, causing this. Of course, the Greenies are no longer given to them! But what should we do to be sure there is no damage done by these? I can't find any symptoms-remedies for the side effects of these. Is a Vet trip in order? Should we ask to have xrays done on both of them to be sure? Your advice is appreciated!

Susie in Ohio

I would get them to the vet as soon as possible. Rather safe than sorry!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Hi Susie:

I'm also in Ohio- Just tell your vet about the Greenies they've been eating and what's been going on, and your concerns..... Most objects lodged in the digestive will show on Xrays-

Let us know what the Vet says.

As a side note, When Mett & Bratt were tiny- I bought some Nyla Puppy Bones for them that came with a 'free greenie' in each package. At that time I wasn't aware of the Greenie issues- and under supervision let them chew on them. The greenie formed into a glob in Mett's mouth, and was stickign to his gums and teeth... Poor little guy got distressed trying to get it out.... Mommy to the rescue, and I removed it all...... This happened infront of my eyes.... in about 1 minute. :mad:

I tossed them out that moment- and have been really distressed reading all the news items since. These things really should be taken off the market.

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Hello again,

We heard back from our Vet, and here's what he said: ( I guess we just hold-tight and watch for any distress.)

"Boy great question!

I went and checked on VIN (Veterinary Information Network) and there is quite a bit of testimonials on there about small dogs choking and having some problems with digesting the Greenies. I guess it is like everything, it all has a risk. A lot of concern about dogs less than 10 pounds.

I would not worry about any glumps of these blocking up the intestines, I am more worried about them getting caught in their throat and choking and I think this is more of a concern in my small dogs. Large labs and shepherds I would probably not worry a bit with the small dogs like yours I would be concerned if they did not take their time in chewing them up."

Thank you for your support and advice! No more of those evil Greenies for our Cairns, and we will certainly pass the word to all we know.

Susie

I find it QUITE interesting that since they say they aren't aware of the dog at the improvehomelife website, that they didn't say they were going to contact THAT webmaster to try and find out about THAT poor dog. How come they are going to contact the webmaster of another site abut whose dog they are "unaware"?

Can you say "Baloney"?

Here is the response I received from "Greenies"..............

Archived