CairnTalk

Has your Cairn done Earth Dog and/or Agility

Darcy's Folks

By the end of this year, we will have ended Darcy's training classes (Puppy, Click-a-Trick, Intermediate and Advanced). We really like how well-rounded we feel it makes Darcy. She lights up every Saturday when she knows we're going to "class." And as it's been stated here numerous times, these smart babies of ours need the mental & physical stimulation.

We want to move on to either Earth Dog or Agility. Not for competition (unless it ends up being something she's really great at), but for fun and stimulation. I'm just curious to hear from any of you if you have put your dogs through either and what you felt about it. Regardless, we're going to do something and figured researching now is best so that we will be ready when 2006 hits.

Kate, Darcy & Bailey's mom

We love earthodog - all four of our dogs have ED titles. Two are Master Earthdogs, one is a Senior, and 'puppy' Stella is a Junior ED with two of the three qualifying legs needed for Senior. (Both legs earned just this past weekend.)

ED isn't a competition but rather a test. So it's all between you, the dog, and the rules. You either pass or fail, simple as that. Because it's based on instinct, to begin you don't need any training at all. The non-regular class Introduction to Quarry is just that - read the rules, show up, put your dog down, and see how it goes :-) Even Junior doesn't require training - although depending on your particular dog, you may end up doing some 'troubleshooting' to bring out or control elements of his/her behavior that may keep him/her from passing.

It's not much as a spectator sport, although I always try to be early so I can watch the Master dogs hunt-up. It can be a subtle thing to watch, but thrilling if you like to see a dog giving expression to its instincts and hunting in partnership with both its handler and another dog. And the Senior test is famous for the butts-up desperation of handlers trying to recall their dogs out of the den :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 3 weeks later...

Brad:

Our kennel club has just built 3 earthdog runs on private property and we practiced last weekend for the first time..it was so much fun to watch these guys do what comes naturally! We hope to have a fun match next year and are doing the paperwork for an acutal trial. Have you ever had the PETA people get into a snit over earthdog trials in your area?

Good for your kennel club! In our area the tests are typically on private property. The quarry is quite well cared for. I suppose if a reaction to stress is napping and mating, then they might be mildly stressed. Most look bored to tears, eat their grape or berry, ignore the dogs, and eventually die of old age.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

• 4 months later...

Hi ! I hope I'm posting this correctly.... just joined today! I have a 6 month old cairn and am interested in Earthdog. Last weekend we entered the Intro to Quarry class but although he showed interest by whining and scratching at the tunnel entrance, he was reluctant to enter more than half his body into the tunnel. He did this several times but never ventured in further. I know every dog is an individual and experiences will vary, but I'd love to hear other folks tell about their dog's first time and how long it took for it to finally click. Thanks all.

Kari

Welcome to Cairn Talk.

Hmm. We kept entering Barley in Junior for three years (starting at about six months) before she got a Junior leg. She was enjoying the tests even as she failed every way possible, so we went ahead and kept entering her - what the heck. After three years she finally decided to do it according to the rulebook :-) She then titled in three tests - and is now a Master earthdog. So she was very slow to turn on.

On the other hand, Stella earned her Senior title at just 18 months. For a few weeks last summer she was the youngest Cairn to earn that title, until a fifteen-month Cairn did it!

A reluctance to enter the earth is not unusual and you're lucky your boy shows interest in quarry - sometimes it takes a while for young dogs to 'turn on' to quarry.

A couple of ideas for working on the tunnel. One is to do above ground practice with tubes or home-built den sections, to take they mystery out of the tunnel. Not the same as buried liners, but it does build familiarity and comfort in the liners.

Another thing I've tried that has helped was at a practice day when the dens are buried - I just held my dog at the entrance but did not force her in, not even the least little bit. I just held her so she couldn't leave - any time she leaned forward toward the den I took my hands off her and encouraged her; if she backed up I'd just keep her from leaving. Eventually she stuck her head in further and further, building up courage until finally the lure of the quarry pulled her in the full distance.

It's really important not to betray the trust of your hunting partner, so I'm against forcing them in or even stuffing my feet into the den to prevent them backing out. I prefer to hold them outside of the den so entering, if they choose to do so, is totally under their own steam.

• 7 months later...

Went to try Lilly at Earthdog Practice in Crosswicks, N.J. As soon as she got introduced to the rat in the cage, she sniffed and got down in the "Play mode". She went thru the tunnel just fine but does not have that killer instinct. Now if they would put a chippy in the cage instead of a rat, that would be another story.

Lilly's definitely a good mom and wants to mother the rats, especially baby rats. Lilly is made for agility.

Now, on the other hand, I had brought along my 10 year old mixed Scotty rescue instead of leaving him home. Since Lilly was not working out at practice, we decided to give Mugsy a crack at it. Everybody enjoyed watching him. Mugsy is definitely an earthdog. Upon introduction to the rat in the cage, he tried to bite thru the cage, kept rolling in around. It was hard to control him. I never thought he would fit thru the tunnel. Mugsy is 34 lbs. and could only pass for a Bad looking Giant Black Cairn with white feet and chest. However, he mananged to get that 34 lb. body thru the tunnel to the rats, tried to bite thru the bars, then figured out it would be easier to get the rat from above ground.

sooooooooo

Mugsy proceeded to back out of the tunnel in reverse mode with his 34 lb. body even around the angle.

I thought for sure he would get stuck but he proceeded to the trap door and tried to lift it off to get at the rat. He was definitely determined. He kept lunging at the 5 gallon bucket all the way back from the test site and then just sat, whined, and stared at it the whole time we were taking a break. He knew that rat was in the bucket and wanted it bad!! He looked like a wildman! :devil: Mugsy also located all 5 rat tubes in the woods in search and partnership practice. I just may have to try him in AWT Earthdog.

It was alot of fun!

Has anyone actually purchased a rat to practice with? When I took Gidget to her first terrier trials this summer she didn't have any interest in going to ground. She also didn't make it down the race track because the luer was already 1/4 of the way down the track when they opened the door and she didn't see it take off to chase it.

The lady that heads up the trials called me later this summer and invited us to her home for some practice runs and go to ground.

Gidget got the hang of the luer and finally went thru the hole at the end of the run. She didn't go to ground though. After all was said and done and we were standing aroud talking she finally took interest in the rat that was still sitting at the end of the tunnel. May she'll get the hang of it.

They suggested that I purchase a rat and make my own tunnel out of cardboard or even the large flexable pipe like you would bury in the ground to carry water away from your home.

Has anyone done this?

There's nothin' in this world better than puppy breath!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We have taken an agility class and Cassie loved it. I found it physically demanding myself trying to keep up with her because she is really fast. In November we are going to an Earth dog play day to check it out and I'm looking forward to it. I think if we continue with agility I will have to train my daughter to do it with Cassie as the dog will wear me out and leave me in the dust.

I've 'rented' rats before. Basically bought the rat and then sold it back (at few dollars loss of course, as would be right) at the end of the weekend.

What's funny is asking for used rat bedding (to make the scent tea). That usually gets a puzzled look.

I would love to enter my Baylee in an earth dog trail. Where are they held and how can I find out if there is one in my area? Baylee loves to go to the pet store and lunge att he hampster/rat and bird cages so im pretty sure she'd do pretty well. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my gosh I just had to post that we have returned from a Terrier play day at the park that was amazing. We tried everything and Cassie just lit up and loved Earth Dog! It is the most astounding sight to see your dog do what they were bred for and watch them in their happy place. I've never seen Cassie like that even with her favorite people, toys or even at the beach. After a long day she is really relaxed now and hopefully won't bug me for a walk because DH is out of town. Wish he could have seen it, words hardly describe it adequately.

• 1 month later...

Bummer! I've been thinking the little Guster would be a natural at this as he sure wants to get his teeth into vermin, unfortunately Montana has no trials.

Looks like Gus will do his earthdogging in my yard after the ground squirrels we call gophers.

Have you hugged your Cairn today?

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, looks like I might finally be able to test Duncan. He's killed no less than 15 moles and mice over the last 2 years. He put a house full of cats to shame. ;) I used to have a cable run in the yard at my old place and once hooked up, he would go into hunting mode. It was so cool to see instinct take over. He'd dig down and bury his nose to breath in the scent. Then either move to adjust or start digging and going after the mole. I think he'll do real well at Earthdog. :thumbsup:

I'm excited to get Ellie into it also. I just found one they are doing in May so I guess we will begin there. I am a little nervous but the judge assured me there are always "beginners" there and everyone else has been in our position. :)

6amigos.jpg3amigospose.jpg3amigos.jpgRoscopuppy.jpg3amigos2.jpg

We're the Cairns of America

Archived