CairnTalk

teeth

My goodness ... I think Meli was right at four months when they all began falling out! :o They came back in really quickly though!

They start losing their puppy teeth between 5 and 6 months, then I also read that they will lost the rest around 10 months. This makes sense since I found Max's teeth all over the place at 6 months and now that he is 11 months he is starting to chew again.

I actually kept the teeth for his puppy album!! haha

Maxwell

• 4 months later...

Do they loose the top canine(long) teeth as well ? Abe our 5 month old Cain recently has lost his bottom ones and we noticed that there appears to be a new set growing in behind the top ones . Since we are planning to have him neutered next month I was wondering if we shouldn't go ahead and get the top teeth removed while he is there . And yes we saved the teeth too .

Guest CarCarDawn

Hi! Riley was about 5 months old when he started to lose his teeth - - I found large ones and small ones all over the house. Not sure if they were bottom teeth or top teeth - - - but - - - I can assure you that at 8 months he has a full set judging from the bite marks left on my arm!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with everyone else that is was around 5-6 months. The new teeth will not be nearly as sharp as the puppy ones are and this is a good thing with these guys. Keep a sharp eye out if your pup bleeds a little or if you find a little blood on what they chew. Your pup may need more things to chew on during this time as their gums get sensitive. As they fall out, try not to let them eat the old teeth and you might notice a strange situation where they have bouble rows of eye teeth, one in front of the other (yes, like a shark). These teeth are usually the last to go. Out vet mentioned that it was a good idea to have any double teeth pulled when we had Cody in for his snip snip at 6 months old. They charged us around 10 dollars per tooth to pull out the 2 doubles he had.

Definitely ensure the deciduous (baby) canines come out one way or the other. You can sometimes help them along a little by just wiggling them a bit (you aren't trying to pull them out...just wiggling them to see if they are loose or not). It seems fairly common to have a double set on top for a while. Having them out while already under anesthesia for neutering is an excellent idea. We start watching the permanent canines carefully as they reach about half the length of the deciduous canines. We stop waiting and have them pulled if they reach 3/4 the length. That's just us. Your vet may have different recommendations.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

It looks as though Wes will have his baby teeth forever! He's almost a year old.

Strange thing- my son began to lose his baby teeth in third grade and lost his last baby tooth the second year in high school.

Archived