CairnTalk

house breaking

hello! I have a perfect female cairn puppy, and we both live on sunny Tel Aviv, Israel. she's 4 months old and still does her stuff at home. she pee on papers, we are trying to get her to do it outside by taking her out when she's sniffing around and it seems like she is going to pee, but then she holds i in and does it upstairs when we are back. what can we do?

thanks,

Roni & Phoebe

I had this delimma with my little Julio at first. :twisted:

I read a book "How to housebreak your dog in 7 days." It was really helpful, mainly because it says you have to make a choice--Paper train, or HouseBreak! (Not both)

You have to send a clear message to your dog that you want her to go in a specific area. If you want her to learn to go outside, pull up ALL of the papers in the house, and eventually, she'll get the hint that she has to go outside. She will have accidents at first, but you just have to let her know that it is bad to pee in the house. Take her to the "scene of the crime" and tell her "No--BAAAAD DOG", then take her to the "Spot" where you want her to pee outside--even if she has already gone. This sends the message "This is where you are to potty." :arrow:

What I did with Julio was pull up all of the papers one day, and then after only one day, he realized that it was either outside, or make Mommie upset by going inside on the floor. Their natural desire is to make you happy, so Julio went outside after that, and has not had a relapse since. He was only 3 months old when he "learned the ropes". I also used crate training. If I took him outside and he did not go, I would put him in his crate (Not in a punishing way), for about 5-10 minutes, then try again. He would not soil his bedding, so he got the hint that outside was the ONLY place he was supposed to go. :idea:

I praised him lavishly when he did his stuff outside-and gave him a treat every time at first! :P

Just remember, having papers down, and expecting her to also go outside is sending her very mixed signals. You have to chose which you want her to do. And if it's HouseBreaking, you have to be prepared to take her outside several times a day until she gains better bladder control (i.e. 7-10 times). :mrgreen:

Hope this helps-Good luck!

• 3 months later...

I also read the 7 Days book and followed the program carefully. After 7 days there was no impact. Max knows that he is supposed to poop at a spot in the backyard; however, he will pee and poop in the house if he thinks that we don't see him (dark hallway or under the kitchen table).

jc

thanks for the advice, i have a new 10wk old female, who is very smart, she kinda figured out that i did not like it when she went outside of the crate in the house, and since she does not want to stay in the crate, she started to go in the crate, first because she could not hold it while i was at work, (fun to come home to).

the biggest problem is i know that i work and so i am not there enough to catch her when she needs to go, even tho i take her out frequently when i am. but she has yet to go outside, she came in this am after a 20 min walk and went into the crate about 5 min later to pee. so i will use your advice about taking her outside when she goes.

i am now not crating her, but she is just going in the crate.

am i ruining chances for being housebroken? what to do if i am not around?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I am recieving, from my mother, a three year old cairn (holly) this christmas. My mom tends to keep her outside for long periods of time :( , and she is clearly not house trained because she goes ALL OVER the house. I am taking this puppy, in hopes to take much better care for it, because my mother is an executive and just simply doesnt have the time. I was wondering, is it to late to housebreak Holly ? And if not, does this book you guys are mentioning , have anything for older dogs ?

Yes you can teach a 3yr old dog to go outside only. I suspect your mother has the dog outside for long periods and inside for long periods. The thing that we tend to forget when house breaking a puppy is that thier bladders are still developing. (They are fully developed by 3 unless there is a medical problem.) So they may be trained to go outside, they just don't make it in time. When you start putting their face in the accident, you could re-inforce the need to hide the accident. If you catch your dog in the act. Yell "NO", and scoop the dog outside to the pee spot. Until you reach the pee stop your voice should be loud and your movements frantic. (You want to give the impression that the world will end if there is pee in the house.) Once at the pee spot, be calm and use your good puppy voice. Get really happy and give lots of priase when the pee ends up outside.

My suggestion for books are anything by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D. published by Dog's Best Friend. You can reach the publisher direct at 608-767-2435. Patricia McConnell also has a weekly call in radio program, for more information (and I think you can order the books there) go to www.wpr.org and click of the "Calling all Pets" link.

Good luck!

Hehehe, that sounds like a good plan. I dont think ill have a problem with the frantic movements, cause it WILL be the end of the world if she goes in here ! :wink: I love her so much though, that its hard to be loud with her, but i can do it, with the motivation of saving my carpet ! Thanks so much !

hello! I have a perfect female cairn puppy, and we both live on sunny Tel Aviv, Israel. she's 4 months old and still does her stuff at home. she pee on papers, we are trying to get her to do it outside by taking her out when she's sniffing around and it seems like she is going to pee, but then she holds i in and does it upstairs when we are back. what can we do?

thanks,

Roni & Phoebe

everyone listen up!!!!! DO NOT ever put down papers inside your house for your dog. you are then telling the dog it is acceptable to go to the bathroom inside your house. you will be making a big mistake! you must teach your dog, paper or no paper, you do not go inside the house under any circumstances. by laying down newspaper you are only confusing your dog. you should utilize a crate, verbal discipline and praise with a treat when he does good.

Archived