CairnTalk

Heart worm prevention?

Melanie

Could anyone give me any advice on heart worm medication to give to my Max? I have been trying to find out information on the Internet about what age the puppy should be before starting them and what the best brand is, but I am not having much luck. We have just been attacked by swarms of mosquitos and I am very worried for Max's safety. I would appreciate any comments you might have for me.

Thanks much,

Melanie

Maxwell

Melanie, we live in the Midwest. Heartworms are terrible around here.

Infact 8 years ago, we had a dog get them, he was not on heartworm prevention medication. It costs $140.00 to treat him, after that he was

on the medication. And every dog since that we have had is on it. In this area the vets put the puppies on it when they get their first shots. Nicky, my Cairn, has been on his since he has been 8 weeks old. He gets Heartgard Plus. I know that there are other brands-he takes a flavored soft square once a month. I get them from the vet. six to a package and we are told to give them to the dog year around. I would call my vet and

ask about them. And how bad heartworms are in your state.

Good Luck

Posey :P

I have read very scary things about dogs having serious reacions to heart worm meds. I am going to call my vet in the morning to see what North Dakota is like for this. Since our mosquitos are unbelievably bad now until mid September, I am thinking we are quite high. It gave me a bit of relief to know you can put such a young puppy on it. Thanks again for your response.

Melanie

Maxwell

Archived