CairnTalk

Conformation or Obedience

hallswel

I have gotten several different answers on which class for Sugar to begin. I was going to start her in confirmation class since I really don't want her sitting in the show ring and that is usually the first thing they are taught. One of the trainers said to remember I have a terrier so obedience is very important. Sugar won't begin classes for another month so I have some time to decide.

The only command I have been working on is Stand. I also have been working on the biting and touching the feet, ears and entire body.

There is so much information it is overwhelming at times. I like hearing what the people on this site have to say.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Hi I'm new to dogs and showing, but we just finished puppy obedience class with maggie and start her first conformation class tommorrow (she's 5 months)... i think if you want to show her then get into conformation early...just to get her used to the process (and for me too! -ive never tried this before, only been to a dog show twice for the first time this year!) ... why did she learn to sit?...i've seen show dogs sit, but i think its best to not teach them that... we had the only puppy in class that we kept saying stand to when everyone else was saying sit... it went well!

a

I think you can do both. Of the two, it's more important to me to get some obedience training on the dog. Even though a puppy can be shown - and even finished - while still a puppy, I think if your plan is to live with the dog for a lifetime, you can and should do both. If push came to shove, it's the showing I'd put off if anything. For a pushover (sucker) like me, the obedience training helps in the show ring too - even if I have to give them 'the boot' once in a while to stop them from sitting.

Dog's aren't dumb and they can learn and be trained what is the appropriate behavior for the current situation. Our first obedience instructor was horrified that we'd ever do earthdog, saying that for a terrier it would ruin them for obedience. Yet our first dog (a girl) was a Senior Earthdog when she earned her CD, and our male already a Master Earthdog when he earned his CD. So they know the difference between a show lead, an obedience collar, and a hunting collar.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

hi brad, which lead do you use for showing?...we just went to our first class and picked up a resco slip lead but a small round one (toy dog type) debating whether to switch to a small flat one? ...also does colour matter? should it be similar to her coat colour?

for halswell, puppy obedience is a great start before conformation, just practice stand vs. sit and get face control down well too... it also helps to get the pup settled around other dogs in the small area...

thanks!

a

• 4 weeks later...

brad, the martingale attaches to the resco? is it a chain that goes across? ... i tried finding it on the net and think thats what i saw... i'm in conformation now and i'm not a big fan of the resco, i find that its stickiness makes it hard to keep high up on her head... how do you find that the martingale helps you??

thanks

a

At the show yesterday the judge did not allow bait or squeaky toys. The professional handler didn't have any problem but some if the others did. I think that obedience will really help if you can't use bait.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

I agree about the obedience helping with attention, Liz. As to the Martingale I find it sometimes stays up higher on the neck without falling down as easily as a plain choke or a Resco. I have a couple Martingale chain collars that I can attach to Resco color-matched to the dog :-) I set the slider down to make a small loop, stick the loop through the control ring of the Martingale, and then pass the long free end of the Resco through the other end loop of the Resco - that makes a nice flat attachment to the collar that's easy to get off later.

Of course you can buy pre-made leash/collars, in any combination of fabric and chain. Some examples.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to add my limited insight into this. My dogs compete in the obedience ring and in the conformation ring and I have always (since I was a kid ) worked with my dogs on obedience in their obedience stuff and their show stuff in their show lead and I don't know if it has anything to do with any thing but they seem to know the difference between the two, they stand when on a show lead and sit when on an obedience lead. That's not to say that it's a black and white thing I also know that they are capeable of thinking independently and if I tell them to sit they are going to sit wether or not they are on or off any leash. I like being able to give my dogs a command and have them do it no matter what ring we are in and obedience has really helped with that even in the show ring. I hope that helps anyways it is just what I tend to notice in my own dogs. Good Luck!! :D

Archived