CairnTalk

Sick little guy

CathyAnn

Well, I never thought I'd be happy to hear Piper bark!! He went out to potty and someone was letting off fireworks and of course, we just won't stand for that!!!

He hasn't had a BM since this morning's 'bout with diarrhea. So, hopefully, that is going to stop soon. I am watching every pee 'n poo run like a hawk. I even have the flashlight with me at night!!

I'd say he's about 50-60% now......fingers crossed for more improvement tomorrow!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cathy:

That is wonderful! I am so glad to hear that he is improving! In a few more days he'll be back to his Cairn self! Destroying something- no doubt. Please do let us all know if the Vet ever figured out what this was.

:offtopic: On a side note, when I was at the Vet yesterday- they had a sheet posted behind the desk that gave OTC meds (eg imodium) and dose's by doggy pound- i'm going to ask for a copy next time i'm there.

Tracy

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Glad to hear Piper is doing a bit better. I know when Jake was sick, every day seemed like an eternity waiting for him to get better. It is possible that Piper simply got into something that caused some severe GI distress, hence the pain behaviors; or that he got a stomach virus that hit him like a Mack truck. I'm a people nurse, but was amazed that many of the same ailments/treatmets we get, our vets treat/give to our dogs. When Jake was sick, he was treated with the same type of IV fluids a human would get with severe diarhhea/vomiting, and he even got some of the same flu treatment people get-Tamiflu. Even his antibiotics were the same. If it was a virus, it just had to run its course, like it does in us.

Here's hoping for 100% soon!

Cindy

Now just remember those words - that you were glad to hear him bark! :P

Seriously, what great news that Piper's coming along so well. It's hard being patient for him to get better but he IS getting there!

Still hovering at 50-60% here.....no more improvement today which has me concerned.

Acting like he is still very, very uncomfortable. In particular, when he goes up and down stairs and walking.

We found a loose stool this morning and we didn't see him do it. So, I'm not sure which dog did it??

My older Cairn is on the same diet as Piper so she could have a tummy ache from the change. I can't believe I missed it. Hubby and I are trying to watch so closely!

Sigh......

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

"...We found a loose stool this morning and we didn't see him do it. So, I'm not sure which dog did it??..."

Even if Piper was the culprit, you may have to allow for backsliding a little. On Wes' way back to health, he had a couple of loose stools too. And it was on the way back home in the car on my lap, besides! (Lucky I had a change of clothing with me!)

Sally.....thanks for letting me know that this might not be unusual-the backslide.

We were gone most of the afternoon picking up family at the airport, so I crated Piper. It ended up being about 3-4 hours.

When we returned home, he appeared 60-70%. So, maybe he got some much needed peace and quiet and rest.

I am now starting to mix in some dry food with the rice, chicken and ID. The vet said to to it very gradually, so again, fingers crossed!

Thanks again, everyone!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Sounds like Piper is well on the road to recovery. Here's hoping for more progress today. Get well soon!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

Still checking in on little Piper to see how he's doing. They might feel like little steps but they're steps in the right direction. We'll keep the :pray: going for him.

I would say he's about 90% today!!

I am breathing a sigh of relief, a BIG sigh of relief!!

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers. I consider all of you the absolute BEST bunch of Cairn buddies EVER!!!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Archived