CairnTalk

being a teen and raising a pup?!?

diamondx151

Hi everybody, My name is Jess and I'm 14 years old. While I don't exactly have a Cairn Terrier yet, it looks like it will happen for me soon enough!! So happy :D But back to my question..... summer is coming up and I realize that training a pup is gonna be a 24 hour job. I was just wondering that if 3 months later when I have to go back to school if that will be ok for my puppy. My parents are both gone from 5a.m to around 6p.m so they're out of the question. :? any advice? thanks a bunch!

hey Jess,

I got my first Cairn in July (18th) and got the potty training pretty well done by the time school started. I'm a teacher. He still had some accidents that were all my fault up until he was 9 months old. My wife works three days per week and then was home by 1:30, so he didn't have to spend too much time inthe crate. I would suggest trying to get someone to let him out about noon, assuming you leave for school by 7:30 and then getting home ASAP. Get a good crate and crate train him/her. This is one great little dog and need a lot of family time so don't let too much time alone! They really LOVE being around people. I have never seen a dog like my Jake that is so outgoing that he NEEDS to greet everyone that passes by! Good luck

Archived