CairnTalk

Starting obedience

Guest posting as: GottaLoveMyDodge

Guest posting as: GottaLoveMyDodge

Howdy fellow Cairn owners/lovers,

I'd like to start obedience with my mom's Cairn, she knows basic obedience things such as sit, stay, come, heel, finish, etc. but what else will she need to know?

When I sign her up for a show what class(es) should I sign up for? I'm new to obedience with AKC so any help would be appreciated!

Thanks so much,

GottaLoveMyDodge

Good for you! Here's a good place to start: http://www.akc.org/events/obedience/getting_started.cfm

Read the rulebook. http://www.akc.org/rules/obedience.cfm I'm pretty active in local earthdog and it astounds me the number of people who enter a test (or trial in the case of obedience) who don't even read the rules first!

Two suggestions - one is is to get into a 'competition-oriented' class if at all possible.

The other is to start attending obedience trials. You will learn TONS from simply watching the day unfold. You will be entering in 'Novice A' so that's a good class to watch and learn. (Also watch Novice B - that's where experienced handlers run novice dogs.)

And then watch everything else for inspiration. I swear, watching some Utility dogs brings tears to my eyes seeing the dog/handler relationship.

Above all - have a blast!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks so much for your help. The next show around that has obedience as well I'll be there! I've looked over those pages and they have helped as well. Thanks again, GottaLoveMyDodge

Archived