CairnTalk

won't come when called

I live on a busy street. Just the other day, when I was taking my Cairn out for a walk, I did not attach the leash properly and she ran away when she heard some people on the other side of the road.

Fortunately, it was later in evening that there was less traffic, and I was standing in the middle of the road while she was running away from me, still on the road. This was one of the most frightening moments. The people on the other side of the road, seeing my plight, called her and she came to them.

When we are inside she almost always listens to me when I call her. I give a her a lot of praise and treats when she does come. However, when we are outside, if she gets excited she NEVER listens.

I've gone to training classes with her, and she seems to perform well with distractions at class. However, in an uncontrolled environment she almost always fails to come when called.

Does anyone have any suggestions that help train my Cairn to come every time? There are only two things that I want from her, to be house trained and to come when called. I figured out the house training, but coming when called could be a life saver!

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you but I am very much interested in what advice anyone can give you on this. My neighbor across the street has a three year old American Eskimo that just runs if she gets off her leash. She will not come when called in that situation but, much as you describe your cairn, comes when called otherwise. It is very frustrating to my neighbor. She is in her early 70's and cannot be chasing down a wayward dog. It usually gets all of us in the neighborhood involved when it does happen. It's actually quite a sight when she gets away! :wink: Luckily we live on a cul-de-sac but there is a busy road not too far away.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I don't have much better luck with my Nikki coming when called. She does do an awsome sit on command, though. The times when she has gotten away from me, I've yelled SIT DOWN, and she's plopped down on her butt and waited for me to come to her. She is always in a sit when I put on her leash and collar, so maybe that's why this works for me.

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

:shock: I too am well used to my dog taking off at a moments notice. My best advice...make sure the collar and leash is snug before you leave!!!!

I suggest telling him to sit in a very strong tone and then tell him to stay. You have to work on this skill for weeks. Lots of rewards, praise, etc. That has worked for me 7 out of 10 times. They tend to listen more to whomever the boss of the house is. My husband can get him to run back to him much much better than I. As for the ederly lady whose dog runs away I bet her dog doesn't see her as his superior. We were taught to put our nose on the dogs nose and hold him in this position for a few seconds at a time. Its a sign of superiority in the dog world I guess. My husband does it during play time with the dog. And as I said our dog comes to him much better than me.

I also work constantly on walking commands with Jesse. I make him walk on the same side of me each time. I tell him to sit and stay several times in out walk and then I praise him when he does as told. I do not let him lead me anymore.

Hope that helps alittle.

Carol

The way we teach the nearly and I say nearly 100% recall is a slow process but with patience it usually works really well if you take the time.

We teach two different types of recalls in our classes as some of our students go on to compete in obedience but here is the method we use for the family pet, and it works quite well. (Remember though, nothing is ever 100%)

We suggest that you any word BUT the word come for this recall. Many of our students use "back" "here" "treat" or "cookie". You need a long-line, or extendalead and a pocket full of really good treats. Liver treats work great. Attach the line and let your dog hang out in the yard doing whatever he wants, then , saying your word in a happy tone reel him in like you would a fish on a line and give him a treat. Then immediately let him go about his business again. Repeat this many, many times and in many different situations. You can then begin to take him for walks letting him get to the end of that line and repeating the exercise many times. You are not looking for a perfect sit in front, you just want him to think that coming back to you is going to get him a treat. When you give the dog his treat, always touch his collar. This exercise is not taught in a day or even a week, it has to be done over a long period of time, that is the key. My four cairns and my two rottweilers have the most perfect recalls, (knock on wood) so far. You must always remember that when teaching a recall, never, never discipline your dog on a recall, for whatever reason. That one bad experience will make them hesitate for the rest of their lives. That is the main reason we suggest the new word as the word "come" is so often used when our tempers are short and are frustrated with them.

I hope I explained myself well enough and did not ramble on too much.

Best of luck with your recalls.

Thank you for that "not so long" explanation. I have a 9 1/2 month old and he usually comes unless a bird flies over,he sees a squirrel, the wind blows a leaf on the ground or someone walks by...other than that he is perfect :wink:

I am going to be doing obedience class for the second time in May. He was only 6 months when I first attended. I have heard about the long lead before but haven't done it yet...I am definately going to now.

Thanks,

Melanie

Maxwell

Archived