CairnTalk

Imports..

kimimissy

Ok..back again..I was Tiggly but I had forgotten my password and my other email address is inactive.

I've been doing so much reading and looking through pedigree lines in the past few months..wow, its been a while now..

I've also talked to a few breeders here in Aus, some of the lines I'd like to follow come form the USA or the UK, but the breeders are very reluctant to part with ANYTHING good or of benefit to me. Either in the use of a Sire over my girl or buying pups. Im tending to lean towards maybe importing somthing in the future.

My bitch has been doing very well in the showring and I am so enjoying Cairns! I have even become handy in grooming now and can turn her out like a pro!

Has anyone exported to Australia before, and are many breeders that would?

Sorry for the semi-long post! :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest posting as: ladybroc

You asked: "Has anyone exported to Australia before, and are many breeders that would?"

I'm sure that there are many reputable breeders who would consider exporting to Australia. However, one thing that makes them reputable is that they are very careful about the homes where they place their dogs. Once you establish some credibility; e.g., finish your female (get her CH), have involvement in organizations or activities to further the advancement of the breed, etc., etc., then you will probably find them more than willing to talk to you.

Unfortunately, in most cases, purebred show dogs is not a sport you just "jump into." You need to affirm your intentions through your deeds and that is why it sometimes takes years to become established. This is not a bad thing; rather, it helps to insure the integrity of our breed custodians.

Good luck to you and I hope this explanation is meaninful.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest posting as: Kimimissy

Hiya Ladybroc,

I have been showing dogs for a few years now, (Gundogs) and have had my Cairn now for almost a year, she is almost halfway to her GRAND CHAMPION title, has had her Ch. title for ages now!

I didn't 'jump into' the world of dog showing and have no intention of importing anything that would not benefit/compliment my intended lines here in Aus. My dogs (both gundogs and Cairn (s) are House dogs and family pets before being show dogs as I prefer this and think they do too, rather than being kenneled 24/7.

I intend to get to know breeders first and establish some kind of friendship and trust first as alot of rubbish is being constantly exported out here (not nessecary Terriers, but Imports in general). If I do import I want the breeder of the animal to be 100% proud of what has been sent out here. The plan is for the future anyway and I was just putting out feelers to 'talk' to breeders and get to know some, I want to finish Tiggs Grand Title first.

I have already 'talked' to a lovely lady from here, and I am learning about the American way of showing, it is fascinating to learn about the differences!

Thanks so much for answering my question, Ladybroc, but please dont jump to conclusions that I have no idea what I am getting into, if I ever do import it would ONLY be for the good of the breed..isnt that what breeding is all about? :)

Thanks again!

Guest posting as: Ladybroc

Hi Kimimissy,

I certainly did not mean to offend you by my response to your post and I apologize if I did so. I only had what was in your post to go on and it sounded like you were unfamiliar with the intricacies of the world of showing. Not so, as I can see from your response.

Nevertheless you are essentially saying the same thing that I said when you say:

"I intend to get to know breeders first and establish some kind of friendship and trust ... ." And you are also correct in saying that whenever or whatever you import would be for the good of the breed -- that is the underlying motive in all our actions as breeders.

Good luck to you in this endeavor and I'm sure with your well laid out plan you will find the quality Cairn that you are seeking.

Guest posting as: kimimissy

No worries Ladybroc, we all want the best for our doggles! :) Thanks for replying at least!

Archived