CairnTalk

ADDISON'S DISEASE

My Cairn died last week of Addison's disease. Does anyone know if this disease is genetic? She was given 6 months to live and with a little TLC and her medicine she lived an additional 3 years. Thanks.

My email address is gizmo633@yahoo.com

I don't know if Addison's is genetic but my cairn was diagnosed with Cushing's disease (which is the exact opposite of Addison's) two years ago. She was put to sleep last week :angel: due to kidney failure :( but managed well on her meds for the Cushing's for the two years prior. She was almost 14. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your dog too. It's not easy, is it? I'm still having a rough time of it without my little Lucy. We are now actively looking for a new puppy.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

I'm very worry for the loss of your little cairn. You obviously provided excellent care and a lot of love.

I'm afraid I don't know about whether Addison's is genetic, but I hope you informed the breeder just in case.

Susan

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about Addison's in dogs, but it is not genetic in people. I was diagnosed with Addison's about 8 years ago. There are many theories about it's cause but the genetic predisposition does not seem to be one of them. It might be interesting to note that President Kennedy had Addisons disease and was treated with cortison injections most of his adult life. People can live a full and productive life wiith the help of modern cortisteroids so I assume dogs can as well. I would think that it is probably harder to manage in dogs because they can't really tell you how they are feeling. Hope this helps...

Archived