CairnTalk

Neutering, I am uneasy about it

Posey

Talked to the vets office yesterdy, they said that neutering increases lifespan of puppy, gives them calmer disposition, and makes them better pets. But I just hate the idea of him being operated on-worries me. But they will give him blood test to make sure his organs are in good condition before the surgery. Can someone calm me on this issue?

Did others have same uneasy feeling about neutering?

Posey :(

Bradl, we purchased Nick from a back yard type breeder. He really loved his dogs-you could tell that. No contract was signed. Nicky is a true Cairn in all his ways-and we love him dearly.

Had no more contact with the breeder so I dont know what his opinion would be. Don't even have the phone number or address anymore.

Posey :)

Hi Ellenn, you are like some of the rest of us, tossing what to do when it

comes to neutering your little Cairn puppy. I am so happy to know that

I am not the only person that feels uneasy about this procedure. Post

what you decide about the question, when you reach a decision and why you decide one way or the other. It may help the rest of us to reach a decision too.

I Always check the pet section of my newspaper. A few weeks ago I saw an owner's ad offering her 13 week-old, neutered puppy for resale.

At that time, my puppy was the same age, and I couldn't help wondering if that puppy was a littermate. I also wonder why he had been neutered at such a young age, and why.

Perhaps the owner had expected that neutering would make her puppy more compliant.

I don't know....

Years ago childhood tonsillectomies guaranteed the parents that their children would sleep more soundly with less nightmares. In some cases sleep problems were exacerbated.

In many ways our puppies are like our children. We want what's best for them.

Ellen

I feel I have to reply to this post. Your vet is absolutely right. Neutering is the best thing you can do for your dog. It not only helps to prevent health problems such as prostate cancer, which is a concern in dogs as well as humans but makes your dog a much better pet and companion.

When testosterone starts being produced by an unneutered male, he will start to exibit behavior that does not always fit nicely into a home situation. They start marking everything in sight, they want to pick fights with other male dogs they meet, they can, excuse the language, smell a bitch in heat for a very long distance and then get only one thing on their minds. They also have a discharge that is called smegma (s?) and an unneutered dog produces this discharge all the time, whether there are females around or not. This can get very smelly and messy especially on a dog with a heavy coat on his underbelly.

Neutering is a very simple and safe procedure and with the technology available now to most veterinarians, preop bloodwork makes it even safer.

Of course, there is always the very, very slim chance of complications but the benefits far outweigh this concern.

I hope this helps.

• Like 2

I went to the web page you kindly posted and read about Theo. He was

adorable. It is really a toss up about neutering, some think it is good, some don't.

posey

I always choose to neuter and spay pets because it is really the healthy thing for the pet in the long run, not to mention that it prevents any unwanted pregnancies.

I was very uneasy about spaying Nikki. I just had a bad feeling about it. I had her checked thoroughly beforehand to make sure that she was healthy and that all her organs functioned correctly. I don't like anesthesia, but sometimes you just have to say a prayer and trust your vet. Nikki came through her spaying fine, and has since had anesthesia again for a teeth cleaning (she's 5 now).

So if you decide to neuter, post when here, and we will all hold your hand (virtually speaking) and say a prayer. I know it's scary.

Susan

I was reading about a cairn, Posey, that may interest you.  Even though it was neutered, it still marks in the house.

dog's foster family uses belly bands.    

Look for the dog named Theo:

http://www.cairnrescue.com/adoption/available.htm

All CPCRN dogs are neutered and spayed. But a male dog that is neutered later in life will take some training and the belly band to learn not to mark in the house.

BTW, look at Jamie in TN. That's my little foster right now. He's just the sweetest little guy. He's been through so much in his short life.

Susan

• Like 1

He's just a little cutie. I look at the rescue site every day and read about all those poor little puppies. If I didn't have young kids, I wouldn't mind taking some of those cairns in myself.

• Like 1

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Hello Susan, I want to tell something about myself, I will be on Medicare come June. That makes me 65 years old. When I was a girl if you didn't

want puppies you got a male dog. All the puppies and dogs my family or I have ever had were mostly males. And back then neutering wasn't even known about. I would say that neutering is a fairly new thing to prevent breeding problems. When I raised my three kids, we had a male poodle and a Chihuahua. Our yard was fenced and they never bred with any female. So when I guess that has a lot to do with the way I feel

about neutering.

Posey :D

I left Rebel today with the Vet today. He is 5 1/2 months old but has or should I say had all his equipment. I just called and they said he is doing wonderful. The tech told me he is such a delightful pup. I think that I will be happier when he is home with me. I know that it was right for him.

I have not had any problems with his gentle nature and he is so much fun I didn't want anything to spoil his nature.

My plans for Rebel are to use him as a Therapy dog as soon as he is a year old. He gives me so much joy I think I should share some with others.

Good luck on your decision and I will let you know how he is doing.

Since Nicky is getting closer to 10 months old, he is learning to walk on three legs, because he is so busy marking his territory inside and out. We have found a very kind lady vet, who said they will do blood work and make sure Nicky will make it through neutering just fine. We have made an appointment for him for next Friday to have this done. Although I realize it will take 2-3 months before the effect becomes noticable in his conduct. Meanwhile belly bands!

Posey :wink:

• Like 1

Rebel is back at home and is the same sweet puppy as before. The vet he went to did the blood work prior to the procedure. The only thing that seemed to bother Rebel was the breathing tube. He has a cough for a couple of days and was very thristy.

Now it is back to normal learning leash manners and to sit and stay without a treat. He is so vert smart and so much fun to be around.

• Like 1

We had Nicky neutered today. It was hard on me. We have him home now and he is still under the effects of the anesthesia. He will just lick water off of your finger and hasn't went to wee wee yet. I don't know how long it is before he will again. Right now just nurturing him through.

Posey

Hang in there. It's hard to see them feeling 'small' when they are normally so vibrant. In just a day or so you'll be wondering how on earth you are supposed to keep him 'quiet for a few days' without attaching a bowling ball to slow him down! He'll be his usual self before you know it.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I appreciate all who posted messages and gave encouragement and advice, or shared experience on neutering/or not neutering their male Cairn puppies. :)

I posted yesterday that we had Nicky neutered. He was under the effects of the anesthesia until 3:00 am this morning. Now he is much more alert going outside to do his business-eating some and even playing gently with us. But still a little tired and sleeping some.

My husband and I really wrestled with should we neuter or not? But when he got close to ten months old, he really began to exhibit behavior like attempting to mark the living room furniture and marking things all over the kitchen. We finally realized; to keep him in the home and have him to be the pet we wanted we decided to have it done. It was hard on us and of course lttle Nick. But it is over now and he is one the way to recovery.

The advice the forum members gave helped us to make a more informed decision

Thanks All! :P

Posey

• Like 1

Bradl, last night we were feeling down over seeing Nick so "small" expressed it wonderfully. Your words of encouragement appreciated when needed the most.

Posey :P

Ellenn, thanks for your concern. Nicky is doing just fine. He doesn't want to take it easy until the stitches come out. He wants us to play and rough house with him like always, and we can't right now. But he is eating good and playing with his toys. All the swelling is gone down and the stiches come out on May 5. We were wrung out when we first brought him home because the anesthesia didn't wear off until the next morning. But things are fine now.

Posey

• Like 1

I can't imagine "Duffy" with a full dose of testosterone...He came out of his surgery like nothing ever happened. He's been merrily peeing on fire hydrants and being the alpha male around the neighborhood inspite of him missing some vital parts. If you don't plan on breeding, I think its the right thing to do.

• Like 1

It takes several months for the hormones to quit affecting them-takes that long to get out of their systems. But I know that they are pretty much still themselves in spite of neutering. Which I am glad of, except for heisting their legs on everything to mark territory.