CairnTalk

Rally obedience

PeppersMom

I love rally and enjoyed watching it so much at the shows that I bought the cones and downloaded the instructions from AKC's website. I setup a rally course in my yard and practice with my female Cairn. She loves it and the routine reinforces all the obedience training we did, especially the stays. I don't know that we will ever enter a competition, but it's good exercise for both of us and nice time spent together.

A couple of folks in our local club do Rally with their Cairns and absolutely LOVE it. It looks like a great sport. I like the ability to constantly communicate with the dog, and the fast pace of it. Although with my navigational abilities I would probably get lost even with the signs :P I bet the dogs love it too.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Rally is less rigid and more about "bonding" with your dogs, I hear. No point-mincing for crooked sits, etc. It seems that it would be easier to title in Rally than in conventional obedience: that is, unless you are ME-- I am directionally challenged-- even when I see arrows pointing one direction, I may turn the opposite. My dogs would be fine. I would just fail.

"Which right?" I will sometimes ask.

Less stressful than conventional obedience for most folks.

You'll probably have a blast.

Jill

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Doreen

I love it :!: More importantly, the dogs love it too. I don't know about you, but my practice space at home is about 5 x 5...my kitchen eating area. This is perfect for practicing rally. Most stations are about 5 to 10 feet apart so it's really easy to practice every night. Hope that helps. I have a 12 1/2 yr old that has the advance title and loves it. My 10 1/2 yr female who hates any kind of ring has her RE title now and I plan on trying for the REA. Even the die hard obedience people are finding it challenging and fun.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest posting as: GottaLoveMyDodge

What exactly is this "rally obedience"? Where can I find more out about it? I'd love to try this with my mom's Cairn!

Thanks,

GottaLoveMyDodge

• 3 months later...

My Red and I have taken a few classes and he got his RN in April. I'm in Virginia and would love to talk Rally with any Cairn fanciers. Anyone near me?

My dogs love clicker training and Rally. They all want it to be their turn when it's time to practice!

AKC has good info on their version of Rally on the AKC website, as does the APDT (for all dogs, including mixes) at their website.

Donna

If I could do it all over, I would do Rally before trying to get a CD..my main problem with Novice A and as a Cairn owner is expecting a Novice dog to heel off leash. At our local show this summer the heeling pattern was in the shape of an "U" with all the lovely about turns in it...what a nightmare! I'm in our regular competition novice class for the third time and we are heeling around and around the mat, and I'm thinking "what is the point of all of this..then my dog gets totally bored and starts looking around..etc etc...Even some of the Rally exercises are really pointless in my opinion, but I think to have a dog's first experience in an obedience ring be in Rally is a really good thing. I've basically had it with traditional obedience for now..I go to class because I like the people etc but as far as getting our CD, I just don't think I want to put us through that nightmare right now or anytime in the future. Ok I'll get off my soap box now....!

Ask someone to give you feedback on your speed in off-lead heeling. I find that I go too slowly unless I really work on moving out - the faster I go the more the dog pays attention - the slower I go the more likely he is to get bored and wander off in search of something more interesting.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

I agree with you Brad that heeling too slow can be deadly to an off leash heel. And some of our NQ's this summer are totally my fault! However I can see why the AKC is losing numbers in Novice A..we quote "non obedience" dog owners look at the border collies and golden retrievers in our classes and throw up our hands and say "whatever"! Its much more difficult for us to compete against dogs like that..plus factor in that we have small dogs...plus I don't want to "compete" against a golden retriever..I just want a qualifying score! My instructor thinks a 190 is a bad score! I would love to get a 170!

Driving 2-3 hours to an obedience trial, getting totally stressed out with nerves, watching my dog get stressed out only to have him NQ is not my idea of a fun day! :)

• 3 months later...

I have two dogs with their rally novice titles, I have to say that rally is great! It's geat because you can talk to your dog the whole time and it is a lot less ridgid that obedience. My dogs really enjoy it too, it's a great way to introduce your dogs to the show scene and being in the ring, wether for obedience, conformation or both, it' s laid back atmosphere are less stress on the dogs and on the people.

The other thing is that the novice level is all on leash! I would never have done obedience with my GSD if I had to take her to a show and take her leash off!! But now because we did rally I have a very good idea of how she will react at a show and am confident in her ability to not leave the ring! :P and now we will be trying for a CD!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest posting as: PeppersMom

My Pepper got first Rally novice leg last weekend. He scored a 97/100 good for second place! Its our first qualifying score in anything!

Yeah for Pepper! And congrats to Mom as well!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

• 2 weeks later...
Guest posting as: PeppersMom

Rally novice leg #2 was gotten yesterday...we scored 98/100 for 1st place! I think it must be pretty rare for a Cairn to be first in anything pertaining to obedience!

Guest Guest

All the rally titles require 3 legs like in regular obedience. In rally you can do it under 2 different judges instead of 3.

• 1 month later...

Pepper got leg #3 for his first AKC title on April 27..Rally novice. His score was a 94 for 1st place! Rally is a god send for Cairn owners because it goes so fast and there are so many stations, the little guys don't have a chance to get bored. Advanced is going to be more of a challenge for us because it is off leash and Pepper likes to sniff around.

Congratulations! The speed will work for you off-lead as well, I'm sure. In regular obedience, our Barley was usually a lot better off-lead than on for some reason. I think she was rebelling about the indignity of being leashed :P

Congrats on Pepper's title. It's a partnership after all, so you earned it too.

• 1 year later...

Sadie's last class is next week and the trainer highly recommends Rally-O for her. She said she would be PERFECT for it because she is so driven to please me and VERY FOOD DRIVEN. I always just thought she was out of control hyper but the trainer told me to use this to my advantage and she will do eveything I wasnt, she will do ANYTHING for that treat. I never do my "homework" duering the week (I know thats bad) but when I get her into class she is like a pro, perfect eye contact, I just give her a hand signal and she does what I want.

Think I am going to sign her up for the Rally and Scooter for the Agility.

Has anyone else done the Rally-O classes lately?

Jess, Scooter, Sadie and Dozer

DSCN2419-1.jpg

Archived