CairnTalk

just adopted cairn

I'm writing on behalf of my father who just adopted a cairn from the humane society. They tell him the dog is 18 mos. old, but he acts older than that - I'm hoping dad wasn't taken advantage of and lied to about the dogs age. From what I've read, and from having a terrier mix myself, cairns are fairly active, but this dog is very listless and not very playful. He also is not warming up to my father.....seems to be a ladies man!

Can all this be on account of just being adopted and the new surroundings? He also has a case of kennel cough that could be contributing? And what about the lack of affection towards males? Customary? or possibly he was mistreated by a former owner?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Sharon

Hi!

The poor little guy has been through a lot and is not feeling well, so it's normal for him to be a bit reserved right now. Male cairns are usually very affectionate, so he will probably come around once he learns to trust his new daddy. He just needs some time and understanding and love right now to get over his illness and emotional trauma from being in a shelter and whatever came before that to cause him to be in the shelter to begin with. I'm sure he's being treated for the kennel cough so it doesn't become pneumonia, so you should have the vet check him out for anything else that could be a problem.

Tell your dad thanks so much for saving the little guy.

Susan

Susan,

Thanks for the response. I'm hoping that's all it is as well. Of course he is being treated for the kennel cough....but I believe the vet treating is the vet from the shelter....and I just can't help wondering if they are hiding something. Maybe it's be best for him to take Mac to another vet.

I will pass on the thanks. I think it's great too! I LOVE DOGS and have always adopted mine from shelters/rescue organization....so i was all for dad saving another dog. He's retired and alone, so I think it'll do him good to have a lil companion as well!

Sharon

Sharon,

Yes, definitely tell your dad to take the little guy to his own vet and have him checked out. Get all his records and take them with him, so the new vet can see what all has been done and doesn't have to repeat shots or tests. You will both feel much more comfortable about it since you have doubts now that the shelter's vet is not being completely candid.

I'm involved in cairn rescue (on my way to pick up a new foster tomorrow, as a matter of fact), and I think it's wonderful that you and your dad support rescue. These poor little guys would not make it if it weren't for adoptive parents like you! Thanks so much!!

Susan

Archived