CairnTalk

Take a look! Would he be a good show dog?

Guest Simen Gjulem

Guest Simen Gjulem

Hello!

I just wonder. My cairn terrier Is 1 years old and 20lbs. The breeder I bought him from said that he would be a great show dog.I have never had him on any dog show. Please take a look at my homepage and see if he gots any potencial to be a good show dog. Looking forward to all your answers;)

http://home.no.net/sgjul/

Guest Simen Gjulem

I know! I uploaded my website on to a free domain so I cant have more than 30 visitors a day. To morrow It will be up and going again:) So I recommend you to have look then, It`s worth it;) Zorry

Hello!

I just wonder. My cairn terrier Is 1 years old and 20lbs. The breeder I bought him from said that he would be a great show dog.I have never had him on any dog show. Please take a look at my homepage and see if he gots any potencial to be a good show dog. Looking forward to all your answers;)

http://home.no.net/sgjul/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Simon,

Your dog sure looks handsome, but it's impossible to tell from a picture whether or not a dog would make a good show dog. If his breeder shows her or his own dogs and has a good record of finishing champions, then I would trust the breeder's opinion. Then you need to decide if you are ready to put the time and expense into showing him.

Rolling the coat, which on average means at least one hour a week of grooming. Training him for the show ring. Paying the entrance fees for shows. Getting up at 4 am in the morning or travelling and staying in hotels the night before shows. And if this is your first show dog, having someone willing to help you "learn the ropes" with showing techniques and grooming. Or, you can pay a professional handler loads of money to do at least some of this for you. B)

Finally, your dog would need to enjoy being shown. The Cairn I showed thought the entire dog show was put on for her benefit, she lit up like a Christmas tree when she was in the ring. Perfect attitude for a show dog. A dog I have now is a show-ring drop out. As perfect as you can get in terms of meeting the physical standard, but he hated showing. Loves people, loves other dogs, but hated being shown. (It's why I have him now, his breeder decided to stop showing him.)

And oh, one last thing, if you are in the U.S. and your dog has been neutered you cannot show him at an A.K.C. confirmation show.

Stacey

Your best bet is to take your dog to a show and ask other exhibitors for their honest opinion. What about his breeder? Does he/she show?

Twenty pounds seems a bit on the heavy side-- how big is he? But then again, his weight does not tell me much. I will not even hazard an opinion based on the picture you posted, but it does appear that he has been clippered. To show a Cairn terrier in conformation, you must handstrip the coat.

Where do you live? Also, read the Cairn terrier breed standard for your country (assuming it's not the US)-- or the AKC one assuming it is.

Good luck. . .

Jill

Archived