CairnTalk

Checking for fleas

Posey

:o Hi everyone. We here in the Midwest have a touch to come of summer. And with summer, fleas come to live on our dogs. Where do I check on my Cairn puppy for fleas? He is 8.5 months old now, and

has grown hair like he is just a lttle body in a lot of fluff and course outer coat. It is all ove his belly and his back sides there isn't anywhere the hair has not taken over. :? So where can I check for fleas? What do other Cairn owners use to fight this infestation? Any help appreciated.

Posey

:)

Well since my pup is 8 months old also, I am checking all over the body. Since the Cairn is so low to the ground fleas can attach anywhere. Max has been doing alot of scratching and biting at his side. I have been checking him constantly for skin allergies since that is very common. I found a red spot, and it seems to be going down but I have to keep an eye on it.

Your right about the hair thing, Max looks like a little lion when the wind blows through the coat!! :o It it tricky to see the actual skin, but it is easy to feel a bump or an indifference in feeling. Keep in touch since our furry kids are the same age!

Melanie

Maxwell

Checking for fleas: one thing our vet does every visit in the summer is 'scritch' our dogs all over their back and neck while they (the dog that is) are on a shiny formica tabletop. The vet checks the tabletop for dark specks that are apparently a sign of flea infestation. If he sees the specks he starts hunting for fleas, ususally parting the hair on the the neck, the back near the tail, and sometimes the armpits. We haven't had fleas in years though.

Fighting fleas: while I go back and forth on what to use and am pretty suspicious of most chemicals, we have been using Frontline Topspot with excellent results. No fleas for a few years now. I do understand that it is entirely possible for some dogs to have terrible reactions to this or any other chemical treatment. We don't treat them until well into the summer, or at the first sign of itching.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 2 weeks later...

Bradl, thanks for the response. will check my puppy also check out the product you mentioned.

Posey

Archived