CairnTalk

Grooming/Stripping Question...

Guest sandy's mom

I started stripping my dogs the other day. I think it's going to be a long, long time before I'm finished! I stripped part of Scout's shoulder, which took about 20 minutes, and when I finished it didn't look like I did anything!

Finch's hair on her head was starting to part so I stripped the top of her head, and around the neck area last night too. I worked for about 20 min (she didn't seem to mind), but it didn't look like I did too much either. She has soooo much hair on her, especially her legs. Can I strip the hair on her legs? Does it come out easily?

Milopup, I have been pulling out the long hair on my dogs. I have been taking small, thin, clumps of hair and standing them up. I then pull out the very tall ones and any others that come out easily. I hope I'm doing it right!

How old do you start stripping the hair from the puppy? Posters said they start to pull out the hair when the hair starts to part in the middle. At about what age does that start to happen? My puppy is almost 12 weeks old, but his coat doesn't look ready to be stripped.

"How old do you start stripping the hair from the puppy? Posters said they start to pull out the hair when the hair starts to part in the middle. At about what age does that start to happen? My puppy is almost 12 weeks old, but his coat doesn't look ready to be stripped."

Just try gently pulling a one or two hairs. If they come out easily, they're ready to pull out. If they don't, they're not ready. Not all of the hair on your pup will be ready at the same time. Kirby's body was ready before his head. We stripped his body at 12 weeks and his head a week or two later. Not every puppy will be ready at the same time though, so there's no hurry.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Kit goes to the groomers every 2 months for a bath and a brush out. They do not hand strip her. She ends up looking much neater and smells fresh as a daisy! Usually comes back two shades lighter as well. For Kit's coat, just the bi monthly bath, blow out, and brush out works. Good for you for wanting to try the hand stripping method!

"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." - Sue Murphy

Idaho Cairns

I do not strip my dogs, however, I do believe that if you intend to use that grooming methods, it is better to start the dog when it is young. Getting the dog used to the tedious process has got to be much easier when they are pups.

To highlight Idaho Cairns' point, my friend recently hand stripped her Scottie, Fuego. Took her 4 hours. The dog is 7 years old.

"Did you ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in? I think that is how dogs spend their lives." - Sue Murphy

Ick...Ive just discovered the importance of keeping the back (anal) hair area clean. I had to cut all around to clean it up and remove some debris consisting of poopy hair matts! I will be adding baby wipes to my routine checklist of things to bring with me on walks. :s

Puntuation MAKES the post

Ick...Ive just discovered the importance of keeping the back (anal) hair area clean. I had to cut all around to clean it up and remove some debris consisting of poopy hair matts! I will be adding baby wipes to my routine checklist of things to bring with me on walks. :s

Yes this is what I call 'Butt Maintaince' in our house... keep the hair trimmed around the poop shute!

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins

Archived