CairnTalk

is there something wrong???

I have a 3 year old male Cairn Terrier. Up until a month ago he was perfectly healthy. Then he started pulling his fur out and his skin dried out. Jesse (dog's name) became tired all the time and his breathing wasn't right.

We took him to our local vet. We live in the middle of nowhere. There is only one vet and she knows nothing about this breed. She found a skin infection and we are treating him with antibodics, vitamins and an antihistimine. We have gone back to the vet - she says skin looks great.

However the breathing and tireness is still going on. Last week we did a blood panel (thought for sure it had to be a thyroid issue). All blood work was normal. So were the xrays and heart worm test.

Has anyone ever seen/heard a this kind of a health issue? Jesse tries to chase bunnies and birds and gets so tired within minutes. This is not normal. My vet says there's nothing else to test. But I know my dog and this is not right. His heart beats so fast while he's napping. It's like he can't catch his breath. But other times his breathing is normal looking. Usually when we go to the vet. One day when Jesse was at the vet she said his heart beat was 80 bpm, which is way too low.

I am watching a normally happy, full of energy, lovable dog turn into a dog who sleeps all day/night, can't run 10 feet without losing his breath and can barely jump up on my bed due to his lack of energy. Ideas please!

I don't know what this could be. You know him well enough to know there's been a change. I guess I would take him to a different vet and get a second opinion.

I'm sorry I can't offer any suggestions, but I feel for you and for Jesse and hope you get to the bottom of it. Please keep us informed. I'll mention these symptoms to some of my other cairn friends and see if they have any ideas.

Susan

As I did with John and Jake, I took the liberty of posting about Jessie to the Cairn Terrier message board that is only accessible to AOL members to get a little more feedback. Here are some responses so far. More information about what you feed Jessie and what medications he's on might be helpful.

Susan

_________

Subject: Re: Help for Jessie

Date: 3/20/03 7:06 AM Central Standard Time

Sorry Susan, I'm totally stumped with this one. I would call several vets and describe what is happening with my dog, maybe another vet would have a better idea.

Wish I had something to offer, but I'd be guessing. Hope Jessie gets help soon.

Jan, Seamus, Gracie & Snickers

_________

Date: 3/20/03 7:36 AM Central Standard Time

>Sorry Susan, I'm totally stumped with this one. I would call several vets

>and describe what is happening with my dog,

I'm stumped too ... not that I'm an expert or anything. I was wondering if he was having a reaction to any of the meds. I know I react very strongly to antihistamines, and I don't take them. Aren't they a stimulant (which could cause the racing heart as well as the exhaustion resulting from the over-working heart)?

I agree that the thyroid sounds suspicious. Sometimes when your thyroid is at the edge of the *normal* range, you can have more symptoms than would be expected. I believe this is simply because your personal normal may not be within the range, or may be at the other end of the range, so it's more off than it might appear. Changing skin, appetite, activity levels, sensitivity to temperatures are just some of the symptoms of thyroid issues.

He may be having a reaction to the antibiotics (but that should be finished fairly soon, if not already).

I am a huge proponent of vitamin therapy. But synthetic "nutrients" can sometimes cause a reaction. Almost all vitamins on the market are synthetic, and many are out of balance with what you'd find in nature, so that might be an issue. The little guy's body might be seeing these synthetic components as toxins and he may be trying to fight them off. Or he may be getting too much of one nutrient and then too little of a complementary nutrient, and that might be throwing him off. If he were human and asking for my advice I would recommend some type of body cleansing program and then add back in naturally sourced vitamins. I wonder what food she is feeding him.

I agree, get some second opinions. I don't kow where she is located but a call to a veterinary college (CSU, Davis) might be helpful.

Good luck, and please let us know how this little guy is doing.

Patti, Pie Face, Tessie, Kelsey, Blaze, kids, and hubby

Date: 3/20/03 9:22 AM Central Standard Time

Hi, this is Danielle.

First of all, I am so sorry that you hare having a problem, however I TOTALLY trust your intuition here. It's the "if you don't walk in their shoes" number where the Vet can't see the dog on a daily basis therefore perhaps is not totally aware of what is going on, OR LISTENING to what you are telling them.

Even though you are far from other Vets, this is when I SURELY would find one and drive the distance if need be. I would ask for a sonogram or ultrasound of the heart and internal organs. This is totally non-invasive and this will tell you right off the bat if organs look like they are the proper size, and it will show the heart beat and perhaps show any problems that you might have there. This is not a real expensive proceedure and this would be one that I would have next.

Incidentally, and this is for everyone here. Any vet records or tests that you have done, YOU are entitled to have a copy of these. Basically, you paid for the test, you own the results. So make sure that you are given FULL print outs of the blood results, any urinalysis (have this done also if you have not already had this. It's another inexpensive test and the results rule out a whole lot). Get copies of your tests and then make a copy of your dogs records for each glove box of you vehicles. This way, if there is ever an emergency you have your dogs records of their latest test with you as a point of comparison at another vets or emergency clinic. This prevents duplicate testing having to be done also. In the event of testing where you don't have a paper trail, this is where you ask you vet to write the results out for you and you get a copy. With x-rays, you will probably be charged a film charge.

What Patti is saying about the thyroid is totally correct. The deal here is that your dog CAN be within normal ranges for tests, however a lot of high normals or low normals tell you that there could be something going on. NORMAL for one dog isn't necessarily normal for another dog.

Please keep us really informed here and as always, we are praying for you both.

Danielle

A couple more responses. They'd also like to know what area of the country you're in, in case maybe it's allergy related.

Date: 3/20/03 6:02 PM Central Standard Time

I would not rule out heart worms in this case as well. One of my dogs got this several years ago and although the treatment is not nice - it is usually successful. She also had no energy and that was why we had her checked. The first blood test did not show them but a second one a week later did. We caught it in the very early stages and were lucky.

Sydney

Date: 3/20/03 6:08 PM Central Standard Time

Hi,

Trust what has been suggested here and that from Danielle also, as she is very knowledgable. I really have no highly intelligent information for you, except that it is approaching springtime and allergy season here in TN. The laziness or sleeping all the time might be reaction to the season. Is Jessie and family in TN or where? The shortness of breath upon activity is sure suspicious of heart disease.

Oh well my two cents worth.

Margaret

In response to the question of where we live.

We are from TN but moved to Southern Florida last December.

Jesse has been on heartworm medicine year round. I don't think it could be heartworms. I am willing to get another test for it. Also, HOW do I get a urine sample from a male dog. :?:

Thank you so much for replying. I appreciate your ideas.

Here's the list of meds Jesse is on:(3/20)

1. Vet Solutions Omega 3 Fatty Acid Caps. (prescribed for at least 6 months to replenish the natural oil in his skin that this infection (?) dried up.

2. Cephalexion 250mg. #42 1 tab every 12 hours, one month prescription. We are 1/4 of the way through

3. Chlorphemiramine #24. 1/2 tab every 12 hours, 19 more days of meds left.

The breathing issue was happenning BEFORE the medicine. So it may be influenced by them but cannot be the source.

Everyday I think I must be imagining this problem. Then I watch Jesse struggle to breath for 20 minutes here and 10 minutes there. On and on it goes. So tired. He is trying so hard to be himself.

I like the idea of an ultrasound. I checked into EKG's for dogs. They run around $100 and its a hit and miss situation. If the problem is not occuring during the test then it doesn't show up. The EKG can look normal. So I don't think that will help too much.

I will keep you updated.

Carol

Carol,

Thanks for the extra information. I have posted it for the others to see and will post any responses for you. Are you in an area where you can get to a vet school or larger well-equiped vet clinic?

We all know how concerned you must be about Jesse. There's nothing worse than to KNOW something is wrong, but not be able to get the help you need. :(

Susan

I hope you will find an answer to your Jessie's problem very soon. You said the vet did a blood screen, how detailed did this get. There is something called AUTOIMMUNE HEMOLYTIC ANEMIA, that Jesse should be checked for. This can strike at any age and is prone to some dog breeds. My Maggie was diagnosed with it and her symptoms with the tiredness, breathing, etc is very similar to Jesse. I am no expert, I was just hoping to make you aware of this blood disease that is very serious.

I wil say some prayers for both of you and hope to hear better news in days ahead.

I took Jesse to see another vet. She was much, much, much better!!!!! :D

I read all of your responses before I went in and was ready. I had written down AUTOIMMUNE HEMOLYTIC ANEMIA from one of the posts and asked her about it. She said that was what she was thinking as soon as I started telling her Jesse's symptons. So we have done a detailed blood panel to see. I am supposed to find out Friday. It doesn't sound like it would be a good thing to have.

She also said there is still a chance it is thryoid related. If the autoimmune test comes back negative then we will do a detailed thryoid test. She said he could be hypothryoid, which is unusual in dogs but possible.

She took him of the antihistamme to see if that would pep him up a bit. Boy did it ever!( He has been so lethargic that we haven't bothered closing the gate to the yard in weeks.) He took off after a bird down the road and we had to chase him down with a car! He was panting like a fool, but very happy. He has been out running and protroling the yard like he used to. His heart beat is still abnormal but this vet said not to worry about it. He is too young for heart disease and if its autoammune or thyroid the heart beat issue won't cause permanent damage.

Thank you all so much for your assistance. We are hoping it does turn out to be his thyroid. Then its just a pill a day and he'll be fine. The other is not so nice.

Carol

Carol,

I will cross post this update to the other board. They'll be happy to know that he's feeling a little better. I've never heard of autoimmune hemolytic anemia, but it sounds scary. I'll see if any of the others have any experience with it in their dogs in the past.

Keep us posted. Sounds like at least your new vet is going to get to the bottom of it finally.

Take care! Susan

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I just wanted to update everyone as to how Jesse is.

I am estatic to say that Jesse is 100% better. After spending $$$$$$ and running lots of tests, it comes down to the allergy medicine that he was taking. Initially it was from the skin infection but the more allergy medicine he was given the more his body was affected by the drug.

We have changed all his med's, started him on a bathing regime with aloe shampoo and got yet another vet. This one is an hour away but knows her stuff.

So, Jesse is running, barking and playing just like he used too. Thank you to all who gave their suggestions and support. I really appreciate it.

:angel: :angel:

Carol

Archived