CairnTalk

"Simparica Trio" flea med, reactions, side-effects

Moto-Rama

Our vet has been prescribing "Simparica Trio" for Fergus (2.3 years old 22lb male)  and overall the bugs have left him alone. We do have ticks in our neighborhood, as well as a park that attracts a lot of dog walkers and an assortment of wildflife that carry fleas. After removing a a couple of ticks from Fergus' hide, we didn't have an objection to the flea meds.

However: Fergus has a tendency to "go native" in the 48 hours after ingesting the Simparica pill. He even exhibits what I think may be auditory hallucinations and some really peculiar reactions to various scents he comes across on walks.   Nothing really extreme, but he's definitely not 100% himself.  This medication is effective as far as flea and ticks go, and we've been giving him the "small dog" dose for dogs Up To 20Lbs, even thoiugh he's a shade over 20Lbs most of the time, somewhere around 21-23 depending.

If anyone has obeserved side effects from these meds, what are your thoughts?

• 3 months later...

Ok...I guess this isn't a thing around here. 

Last month, we gave Fergus his Simparica with food,  and at least his past indigestion issues weren't an issue.

However he is definitely wound up and a bit grumpy for a few days post meds.

Just something to be ready for, I guess.

20240328_154441.jpg

I appreciate the heads-up! Even though it hasn't come up for us, sometimes it's nice to know we're not crazy if we think we are seeing a reaction or wondering if we actually are. We haven't used it but can at least be ready or aware, as you suggest. 👍

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Posted (edited)

I think what seems to be audio hallucinations are a  bit concerning.  Either that or his hearing is somehow intensified by the medication and he's reacting to rodents squeaking.

It does work well to keep ticks and fleas off him, though. I sometimes used a light bit of picaridin to keep bugs off, but Simparica works well, just not for mosquitoes, which be a bane on the fields of our nearby parks.

Edited by Moto-Rama