CairnTalk

Another Update r.e. Biting & Learning

Catalyzt

Sometime just before or after the seizure in late October or early November, Spike did have an incident where he overreacted when I tried to remove something from his coat while I was taking off his harness-- he bit me pretty bad on the back of the hand.

I gave him a quick time out (4 minutes) and then-- incredibly stupidly-- I went to take off his harness again, and he bit me a second time.

I then corrected him and gave him a longer time out-- about 12 minutes.  Wow, that made an impression: I think that's really the upper limit of what he can stand.  He cried, but didn't bark loudly or wildly, almost like he knew that would be a third offense.

When I opened the door to let him out, he sat at the threshold and wouldn't leave at first, just looking at me with a super serious expression on his face, like, "Okay, I really screwed up this time.  Are we really okay?"  Yes, we are, you have paid your debt to society.  I encouraged him to come out, got him put to bed an hour later-- but left the harness on.  My wife took off and put on his harness the next day, and the second day, I resumed putting on and taking off his harness-- I was scared, but did my best not to show it.  No problem.

A couple of weeks later, we're playing fetch (with a little tug of war) and his tooth just grazes my hand.  I corrected him: Loud, firm, but not yelling, totally in control.

Spike's ears drop, he gets into this totally submissive posture, but is whining and looking at my hand.  If I could script his part of our conversation, it would have been like this.

"Oh, no!  I did it again!  Are you hurt, Dad?!"

"Let me see, here... nope.  Not a mark on me.  Just an accident.  Try to be careful, pal, but we're good."

"Are you sure?!"

"Yeah, that was not a felony or misdemeanor, not even a traffic ticket, you got off with a warning."

"Let me see, let me see, let me see!"

":Dude, you almost bit my finger.  I'm a little reluctant to hold it out and display it for you!"

"PLEASE, Dad, please!!  I can't stand it, I gotta make sure you're okay!   Gotta-gotta-gotta-gotta!  Please, please, please, please!!"

"Oh, all right!  Take it real slow, now.  See?  Here's my finger.  Not even a scratch."

"I should apply first aid immediately, just to be safe!"

"But it's fine, see, it's..."

"I can't stand it i can't stand it i can't stand it, please, please, please, let me kiss the boo-boo!"

"Oh, geez.  All right, already!  Again, take it slow."

I hold out my finger again, and he kisses it submissively, looking me dead in the eye, and then snuggles up next to me.

"You want me to throw the hedgehog again?"  I pick up the hedgehog and cock my arm.  Spike just snuggles up against me even tighter.

"Don't feel like it.  That was way too serious.  Let's just sit here a while."

"Okay."