CairnTalk

Dog smarter than parents...sigh

anniegirl

Ok so here we go. Alfie who is almost one....finally house trained. Still in his Ex-pen at night. Almost time to spring him loose...like his older sister Ella who sleeps in her nice soft bed in the corner and moves to the couch at night.

Here's the problem....Alfie would rattle his pen in the am around 7:00 am to go for his business. Then he would run back to the bedroom and jump on the bed. One of us steps in the shower and the other lays in bed a little longer. Alfie is big enough to jump on the bed ..ok..for a 5 minute visit. WRONG!

After a couple of months...now  get the cage rattles as early as 5:00 a.m....out for business. Now we tried putting him back in the pen NO NO says Alfie...I want to visit.

Ok well we can get up at 5:30.

Ok but now 4:30..is getting a bit too early. Alfie has it all figured out.

I would oblige reluctantly...but because when it comes to board him at someone elses house....I don't want him rattling his pen or jumping on their bed at 4:00 a.m.

Any ideas? 

🤣…..I totally sympathize!  Nope no idea, except try to ignore him…ha ha. Sam has a Rolex watch under that furry leg…I swear…and he knows that breakfast has always been served at around 5:30-5:45. Then daylight saving time change happens and now it’s 4:30! Trying to ignore licks, paw nudges and a lot of whining pleading to be fed because we are cruel and uncaring humans that don’t feed them on schedule. I hope every fall that eventually a few weeks into the change that they adjust and they do…or I would just die of fatigue .  They of course with  full bellies crawl back onto the bed and immediately fall fast asleep, while the uprights just lie looking at the ceiling!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Every Fall Angus upset. His interior clock (and mine!) are changed. Not only sleep but "where's my meal? and "It's past time for walkies" etc etc.

Solution for us is just wait out the complaining. Adjustment to normal happens after a few days.

You can do what he wants or what you want🤩

• Haha 2

Very lucky to have one who likes to sleep in, and will stay with either of us even to 9 am or more. The morning this photo was taken, I was in New Mexico and Steve slept in. He had to go back after getting up to encourage Oban to rise and shine!

Note his bed is positioned between our pillows.. .

Resized_20231110_085141.jpeg

Edited by Kathryn
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

We are lucky too. Atticus will sleep until 7:30 or 8am. I don't know if I could function with a 4:30am wake up call! When my granddaughter visits (she is 6), she gets up at 6:30 and you better believe that we ALL have to be up at that time! Thankfully Atticus goes right back to sleeping late after she goes back home.