CairnTalk

Homemade food

Eliz222

I know this has been discussed in the past, but when I searched, the last posts were from 8 years ago. Sooooooo, I decided to start another post. If this is not ok, please delete. :)

I have been doing a lot of research on homemade food. There's lots of info out there which can be both helpful and confusing.

I am going to start with Dr Judy Mogan's Puploaf and then start some of my own recipes. I found sites that will let you "plug" in your ingredients, and it will let you know what nutrients you are lacking.

I can find most ingredients, but had trouble finding the secreting organs. There is an international grocery store that carries the liver and kidney meat, but they were all out at the time. I purchased the calcium and kelp online since it was easier to add this way.

I am going to buy chicken neck and feet for Atticus to snack on.

I still have about 2 weeks left of his dehydrated raw food to give him, so I will transition him in a week or so.

Anyone else try handmade food?

Totally..have made food for the dogs for years. A few things I learned along the way.

- find a good mineral/vitamin supplement. I use RX vitamins/minerals for dogs. It takes the anxiety out of providing proper nutrients. I also add calcium citrate. Both our dogs weigh about 20lbs and get 150mg of the calcium in the am and the commercial raw food at their evening feed contains ground up bone so no added calcium in pm.
- I check all the sales for beef ( the protein I mostly use) and stock up and freeze. 

- I buy Costco frozen veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots), steam them very lightly, then purée in my blender with romaine, pumpkin, blueberries, package in baggies and freeze. 
- I also buy commercial raw food that included beef heart, liver, ground bone and elk velvet. They get that in their evening feed with the homemade. I don’t have to hunt down beef heart and it makes my life a little bit easier.

- A couple of times a week I add a sardine (packed in water, no salt added) . Also they get a scrambled egg a couple of times a week mixed in with their regular food.

Both dogs are in great shape, both ideal weight. I don’t add any carbs like rice etc. 

• Agree 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I should also add the amount of food I give them each daily for our 20lb dogs.

am: 1/2 cup of protein with a tablespoon of veggies, calcium, vit/min (occasional sardine and scrambled egg added)

Pm: 1/2 cup of protein with tablespoon of veggies and no extra supplements

you can also add a squirt of krill or salmon oil once a day

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Thanks, Sam I Am! I am going to make his food today and freeze in containers. I will transition him starting next week. I found the beef heart, and liver at the international grocery store. I bought the chicken gizzards last week. Our local grocery store use to carry the liver and gizzards but I guess they stopped. I like that I can go to one store (Global Market) and find the organ meat I want. I bought the 90% beef at Costco. I have venison to mix in next time. DH is a hunter, so I will be able to get duck also.

The funny thing is that the most expensive item to purchase was the cranberries! Since they are out of season, I had to buy organic frozen. I will be substituting blueberries next time.

From what I have read, you feed small dogs 2.5 to 3% of their body weight per day. Atticus weighs 12 pounds and is on the skinny side, so I will start with 3% and weigh him weekly.

I will let you know how it goes, and wish me luck!

• Like 1

Well, that was a lot of work! Most of the work was trying to grind my food. I gave up when it came to the chicken gizzards and just cut them up in small pieces.

I formulated another recipe which is mainly venison, heart, liver, and kidneys. The fruits and veggies will be what's left over from the last batch.

I froze his food in individual meals, but next time I am going to separate them in daily portions and divide the portions in two when serving. This should save some time!

I'm still giving him a small spoonful with his dry food until he runs out of dry food. The dehydrated food doesn't have a long shelf life.

• Thanks 1