CairnTalk

Scentwork

bradl

Our second experience of AKC Scentwork trials.

It was a looooong weekend. Elroy and I attended Sat/Sun/Mon for a total of twelve runs; Dundee and Peggy attended Sun/Mon for eight runs. I have to say we had a great time with enough successes to keep us motivated, and enough failures to keep us learning :) 

Elroy came out with two element titles and promotion to Advanced in Interiors and Exteriors. His first experience of Advanced was a Q for Interiors (and third place) but NQ  for Exterior (insert excuses here :P). In Novice, although he failed containers 2/3 times, the one Q was good for first place in Novice A. We still have a ways to go to get out of Novice in Containers and Buried.

Dundee was on fire, only missing one hide (Buried)  in 8 runs. He finished Element Titles in Container, Exteriors, and Interiors. He got placements in 6 of the 7 Qs. Pretty good for a 13 year old. He is so perky when he's doing scentwork it is a joy to see.

Elroy's weekend haul on the left, Dundee's on the right.

image.jpeg

This coming weekend will be our very first entries at an NACSW trial. I'm sure we'll have fun regardless of outcomes — for sure the dogs will have a blast :) 

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• bradl changed the title to Scentwork

First NACSW trial this weekend and Elroy hit all four elements for an NW1 title :) 

We also received a "P" for "pronounced" in both Vehicles and Exterior which I guess is a judges scoresheet way of saying "you not only passed but also showed particularly nice team work."  Unexpected and thrilling. 

Dundee was this ---> <--- close to titling with his handler calling a false alert in the interior search. He gets to play the game again in a few weeks at another trial. 

Sunday Elroy had a slot in an NW2 trial. Since Elroy was not qualified to enter for an NW2 title at the time the entry was made he ran "FEO" which means For Exhibition Only. FEO is wonderful because you can experience the trial setting and harder searches with no worry about "am I blowing a title with this foolishness?" — you can just run the search and have fun with it. I call FEO "For Entertainment Only" or "Fun Educational Opportunity." We did demonstrate that we were total newbies by failing four of the five searches — however we came close on a couple and did pass a two-hide four-vehicle  search, so I was proud of his work regardless. Meanwhile, his handler needs work on the other venues :whistle:

The dogs are suuuuuper tired now after all that excitement, travel, and heat — which means they are very good dogs indeed. :wub: I could use a nap myself :P 💤

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, look at all those ribbons! Good job to you and your pups!!

I heard that you all have had terrible heat again (my sister lives in Portland) and you are hotter than us, although we got up to 102 degrees today. Ugh!

Good on the pups! Would love to try this with Sam

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hope you get a chance. It's fascinating watching them solve puzzles. 

Apparently there are quite a few instructors in Canada but not sure any of the ones in AB are near you as AB is pretty big!   How far are you willing to drive for classes? :)  https://education.k9nosework.com/instructor_extsearch

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Some small-potatoes brags from the weekend. Dundee and Elroy managed to get into four level one element specialties this weekend, containers and vehicles at Camp Yamhill on Saturday and then Exteriors and Interiors in Stevenson WA at Skamania Fairgrounds.

On Saturday Elroy came away with the first title of the weekend with an L1 Vehicles. (We bombed containers though). Dundee earned "legs" in both containers and vehicles by getting 3/4 of the hides.

image.jpeg

On Sunday Dundee went to town and earned titles in both Interiors AND Exteriors. Elroy, uh, did not. 

image.jpeg

As always at these things, it's just a blast hanging with the dogs and watching them do their thing. 

• Like 2

Sometimes it's a fun thing to do when you are in the mood - Dundee

Sometimes not especially - Elroy

No matter what, life's never dull with a cairn!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 2