CairnTalk

Refusing his kibble

SammyM

Our 3-year old male 'Duncan' is happy, healthy, loving, but suddenly is now refusing his kibble (Orijen).  He's become a very picky eater, and even refuses some things he has loved in the past including an occasional egg yolk and even a piece of pupperoni.  The only food he readily takes is fresh boiled chicken that my wife sometimes prepares, but he can't feed on just that in our opinion.  Took him to the vet and he's exceptionally healthy with no abnormalities observed in his blood work or fecal test.  He's 'in-tact' and we are curious if anyone else with an unneutered male cairn may have experienced this strange behavior with his food.  We tried other foods such as Fresh Pet, etc. with no luck.  We noticed he has started 'riding' on our legs more than in the past, so we're wondering if this could be a hormonal change within him that has affected his appetite.  Any thoughts out there? 

• Like 1

Welcome to you and Duncan.

One thing that can throw an intact dog off is if there's a bitch in season somewhere in the neighborhood.  If that's it, the situation will resolve itself. There are several threads about picky eaters and my feelings haven't really changed from those expressed here (tl;dr — eat it or it disappears until tomorrow).

Hormones may well be behind the humping but even neutered dogs can be bothersome in this way. We tolerate that even less than picky eaters. I just dump them off whatever they think they're getting frisky with (arm or leg typically) with a "nice try buddy" and then ignoring him for a bit.

Amusingly,  our senior, spayed female used to hump the heads of puppies when we had a litter. That suggested to me that there is more than just "frisky" in the gesture.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thank you, Bradl for your input and the link to this thread.  Some possible solutions for us to consider.  Appreciate your help, and glad we joined this forum!