CairnTalk

Mixed results at the ORT

bradl

We've been doing scentwork classes with Dundee and Elroy long enough that it seemed time to tackle the Odor Recognition Tests that are prerequisites to entering actual nosework trials. So on a (somewhat unexpectedly) snowy Saturday we drove out to Beavercreek OR to see how we stood. Peggy ran Dundee and I ran Elroy. 

Birch was the first odor.

• Dundee, pass
  • Elroy, pass

Anise was the second odor.

• Dundee, miss :( 
  • Elroy, pass

Clove was the third odor.

• Dundee, pass
  • Elroy, miss :( 

So Peggy and I both got to experience the thrill of two passes and the pain of failure on one odor, and neither has to endure the other going "nyah nyah, my dog passed all three" :lol: 

Oh well, every test is a learning experience and while I know intellectually what I *should* have done in the Clove test I will need to practice actually doing it! 

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I don't know anything about this kind of competition- what happens? How do they pass or fail? How can we humans tell whether or not they smell something? :)

An ORT is a container search — twelve smallish cardboard boxes (typically media mailers) are laid in rows. One box contains a couple test-scented q-tips.  After entering the room and crossing a start line a handler has three minutes to tell the judge which of the boxes has the odor in it — if the judge says "YES!" you pass; if you hear "NO!" you fail.  Here's a very good video I found that shows the test as well as passing and failing. 

It's a simple test and I think what's being tested (over and above the dog's association of a particular odor with reward) is primarily whether we as handlers give our dogs enough time and freedom to work out the problem for themselves and can recognize when they have told us "job done." 

The tests we went to were held in a large carpeted church room and I can tell you that ancient carpet apparently holds a lot of attraction for dogs.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 10 months later...
On 3/28/2023 at 2:19 PM, bradl said:

An ORT is a container search — twelve smallish cardboard boxes (typically media mailers) are laid in rows. One box contains a couple test-scented q-tips.  After entering the room and crossing a start line a handler has three minutes to tell the judge which of the boxes has the odor in it — if the judge says "YES!" you pass; if you hear "NO!" you fail.  Here's a very good video I found that shows the test as well as passing and failing. 

It's a simple test and I think what's being tested (over and above the dog's association of a particular odor with reward) is primarily whether we as handlers give our dogs enough time and freedom to work out the problem for themselves and can recognize when they have told us "job done." 

The tests we went to were held in a large carpeted church room and I can tell you that ancient carpet apparently holds a lot of attraction for dogs.

lol i grew up in Puyallup, WA that's my hometown! That's pretty cool they have something like that over there.

i can just imagine if i were to bring fonzie, he'd pee on probably every other container, then go to the judge and start licking her ankle 😅

then he'd be  like okay, where's my turkey treat at, you brought me out here nick, what's wrong with you

Edited by Newman

9yNb8di.jpg
Click to show the full size image!