CairnTalk

Disc Disease

Kathryn

My dear Oban (10 next week) was uncomfortable ans in pain yesterday, and yelped-screamed twice when I tried to pick him up. A trip to the vet led to a diagnosis of slipped disc, and he is on anti-inflammatory and pain meds for 10 days with a stern warning to keep him calm-caged and off stairs and not jumping up on furniture for 3 weeks. 

Right now just trying to figure out how to kennel a dog who doesn't put up with it, and also how to stop him from jumping on furniture. He typically moves from.chair to couch to chaise all day long depending on where I am sitting or, if I am not around, where the sunspots are or the best view out the window is. 

I need any and all tips! I don't want to drug him for 3 weeks.

Also. does anyone know anything about water therapy? I broke my back in May 2020 and after 3 months in a cast-type plastic vest started water therapy and still go several times a week. It made all the difference in a full recovery and I am wondering if something similar would help Oban.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Kathryn so sorry that poor Oban has hurt himself! I would put him in an x pen in an area where you are most likely to be. Put a leash on him when out of the x pen and sit on the floor with him. No doubt three weeks will feel like 3 yrs but hang in there. Acupuncture perhaps?

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Seconding the expen as a confinement alternative.

I don't have direct personal experience but we did have once have  club meeting education presentation in and by a facility that did canine hydrotherapy — I would definitely be inclined to investigate it for Oban if available. 

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I don't know of much hydrotherapy around here. However in UK where I am in touch with cairn terrier folks I know they use it frequently for great healing help. Also two or three dogs at least that I know go for regular fun supervised swims. Dogs and people very happy. For doggies as it is  as with humans. Exercise can be taken without having to carry the body weight.

Wishing the best for Oban. 

• Agree 1

Would a snug Thundershirt help? The support might help his back position without pain. 
It’s tough to keep these guys “quiet”. My healing thoughts go out to you Oban!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

sorry to hear Oban is dealing with this, but it can be dealt with. my beloved cairn Redmon was diagnosed with disc disease and on the same regimen. i immediately put a small plank ramp to the couch and he used it religiously, as he learned quickly that things were much nicer for him if he did. nowadays i have a very charming little thing for the couch, a sort of firm foam ramp covered in some kind of fleecy material, extremely light, rather small, and oddly appropriate for my sectional. was pretty cheap too. my present dogs have used it since they were puppies, so i;m hoping they will go a long time without disc problems related to hopping on and off furniture.  i know Oban has been restricted from jumping for 3 weeks, but i would certainly suggest you make that permanent. 

• Like 1