CairnTalk

Hyperactive

chrislox

Our puppy, Teddy is 14 weeks old and is extremely hyperactive especially in the evening. He is excited by everything and is very difficult to control. When he's in this mood he also is very nippy and wants to chew things and just be generally naughty. Should I be putting him in his crate to calm him down on these occasions?

Typical cairn terrier puppy by the sound of it. 🙂 Lots and lots of info on puppy raising on this topic. You'll find plenty of suggestion if you search this topic. Most of us have experienced cairn puppy days !

I see you are from England There's a site there I belonged to. Very small and a lot of general chat but some very dedicated Cairn Terrier owners with long experience of Cairn Terriers and their ways. cairnterriertalk.co.uk

A lively ride ahead. Good Luck

• Like 2

Hello and welcome to you and Teddy.  Puppies tend to have two speeds, MAX and OFF.   You are no doubt learning why the phrase "a good puppy is a tired puppy" was coined (and the reverse, works either way :lol:

Ways to tire them out include walks (such as they are capable of at this young age — may be more like flying a kite a first, but they do learn eventually), ball playing, toy tossing, and mental games  like hide and seek, find it, puzzle games. Mental games will absolutely tire a dog out. 

There is no harm is using the crate for occasional time-outs so long as it is not being used as punishment.

Cairn pups are notoriously mouthy as they learn bite inhibition if not thoroughly taught with a long time with their siblings before placement, say 12-16 weeks which while ideal is not common with puppies often placed earlier. Once separated we become their test bites and it's up to us to let them know that teeth on humans is a no-go. 

Mainly though this time is one to be survived and savored for the chaos that it is, as it will pass eventually and you will look back with a haze of fondness that only time and distance can provide :) 

• Like 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks! I didn't know there was a UK 'Cairn Talk', I'll check that out. I guess though, they're as naughty over there as they are here, haha!

That's a lovely and very positive response, thank you. Although I am familiar with the adolescent Cairn, my girlfriend is not, so this will be a very useful piece of information I can share with her. Luckily our beautiful boy has a look that could melt these un-seasonal snowfalls we are having at present; snowfalls that Teddy has an endless fascination with.

Tomorrow will be our first chance after his vaccinations that he can be walked in public. Our breeder has given us good advice on this and how to avoid the embarrassment of dragging him down the road. Time will tell if this is the first step to pacifying our extremely excited little chap.

Best regards from the UK,

Chris

• Like 1

Trust me when I say that the time will eventually come when you will look back on these "puppy days" with fondness. I adopted my first cairn when he was a fine, well-behaved gentleman at 10 years of age. Seven years later I discovered that he had lulled me into a false sense of serenity when I acquired a three year old cairn. I  thought I would lose my mind, but his funny, lovable, boundless energy completely won my heart-- and I will always treasure those "manic" days.

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• 4 weeks later...

ditto everything everybody  said. my cairn was a year old before he sat still long enough for me to even see what he looked like. he could run up walls and levitate onto counters. he thought if humans correct you the best thing is correct them back with a bit of growling and nipping. holding the line with these brilliant, fierce, proud little things is some of the hardest work you will ever do. but it will all pay off. in a couple of years. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...