CairnTalk

Agility Training

Susan

I've found a great place to take Nikki for agility training in Nashville. So far, Nikki has learned how to do some jumps and go through the tire and a tunnel. She seems eager to learn new tricks and has fun with all the other dogs. The last class we took, she was the only one who behaved well enough to do it all off-lead. (Can you tell I'm a proud mama?)

Does anyone here do agility competitively? We're just doing this for fun and exercise right now, but she really does seem to have the knack for it.

Susan

• 1 month later...

Hi Susan,

I do compete in agility with both of my cairns. We mostly do akc since that's big where I live here in Ohio, but also usdaa and nadac. There are lots of cairns in agility throughout the country, doing well at it, glad we can add one more with Nikki!

Karen

• 8 months later...

Is anyone in Georgia doing agility? My daughter would like to take one of our cairns but the agaility people we have met are not encouraging. Any suggestions on how to begin?

Thanks,

Keri

Hi Keri,

Per the results I monitor from the AKC Awards, doesn't look like any cairns are competing in Georgia at all. Don't let that stop you though! Check www.cleanrun.com , look under Info Center and search thru their database of training centers in the US. Not all are listed but you might find one near you. Attend some local shows, many host clubs have handouts on training centers. When you find one, ask to come and just watch a night or two for free. A good one will let you do this. That way you can see how they treat other dogs. After class you might be able to talk to an instructor to see how they feel about terriers. Not everyone loves them or is willing to even let them in class. Ask them for their opinion about them. Many are way too tough just because they're terriers and are supposed to be stubborn. Do check out more than one center.

Look for instructors that are patient, use positive rewards whether clicker training, food, praise, etc. They should be friendly, willing to help when someone has trouble. They shouldn't assume all dogs are cookie cutters and they all learn and act the same. Ask about the curiculem (sp?), levels offered, how fast does someone advance thru classes, any pre-tests to enter the classes. This weeds out the dogs that have no obed or control. Should be basic obed, friendliness of dog and attention to you they look at. I thought it was silly til I was in a class without it. We wasted a huge amount of time while some dogs ran around, out of control. What is available to the general public at that center, what is available to a club member? Many clubs let members only into their advanced classes. Who teaches, what are their credentials, and what training did they go thru? Just because someone is good in agility and can train their dog, doesn't mean they can teach others. Is the center geared toward competition or just having fun with your dog, hoping to build confidence or play in the backyard. These two are not mutually exclusive. Are dogs on or off leash when not working? Is your dog ok with that setup? Do the students have fun and enjoy class?

You probably won't find a center that has someone experienced with terriers in agility. I am incredibly lucky with our current instructor. She is one of, if not the best instructor in our area, and she really likes Mac, my cairn, because of his attitude and willingness to work and please. She probably had no experience with terriers before him, and says she will never own one, but she likes him. She is very willing to try something new and believes that different things work for different dogs. She actually had to tell me to lighten up with Mac once or twice since she could see that he's not as tough as he acts. She isn't the best instructor for my other cairn though since she's so soft, gets stressed easily and shuts down. I took her somewhere else and she did fine there. Trust your feelings after a few classes as to whether you want to come back or not. There are also many good books on the basics to work with while you look for a center. Also many email list groups that discuss training. I've never found one that is focussed on terriers in agility though.

High class prices don't guarantee good quality instruction nor does inexpensive mean low quality. If you can attend a local show (check the akc website for those in your area), ask the various competitors where they train and who they like. There might be other terrier people there who could give you help also.

Good luck and I hope you can find a class!

Karen Majka

PEC Member

Keri,

Forgot to add, don't let them talk you out of your daughter doing agility with your cairn! My guys learned very quickly and have surpassed others with "normal agility" breeds that started training before us.

I now have over 100 cairns in my agility results database, many doing very well in agility. The cairns I see really enjoy it. One of the top competitors in the sport has a one year old cairn in training. I doubt he'll make the World Team like her Border Collie did, but sounds like she has fun with him. I would keep looking for other folks that are more encouraging.

Some 4H clubs teach agility. Depending on your daughter's age, she might want to look into that. There is also a Junior Handler agility program in USDAA. See www.usdaa.org (I think that's the website) for specifics on that.

Karen Majka

PEC Member

Is anyone in Georgia doing agility?  My daughter would like to take one of our cairns but the agaility people we have met are not encouraging.  Any suggestions on how to begin?

Thanks,

Keri

Keri: I have a Cairn who is going to enter his first competition in February in Alpharetta. We are in a club in Warner Robins. We are currently the only Cairn in the club, but our trainer is great. It takes a lot of patience and different methods than the other dogs (shelties, border collies, etc.). Cairns are extremely smart and get bored easily. PetSmart is beginning to do introduction to agility - it gives you an idea of the sport and whether or not your Cairn would be interested. Amy

• 1 year later...
Guest Mighty Mite

Hi!

I found this thread while searching on line for dog agility forums! I'm actually the administrator of a forum JUSTfor little dogs in dog sports. Thought members of this board who are interested in learning what sports they can do with terriers or who are actively showing and competing with them, might want to take a look (and perhaps join):

Mighty Mite Small Dog Sports Forum

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi Susan,

I got my Cairn "Lilly" when she was almost 5. She was an x-show and breeder. She was timid so I decided to clicker train her first in basic sits and downs. Then we moved onto 4 preagility classes to see how she liked it. She did well, so we joined a dog training club near Hershey, PA. Well, I have Lilly now 1-1/2 years and she has completed approx. 40 classes in agility. I entered her in her first competition Easter weekend. She totally amazed me. I entered her in 2 standard runs and 1 jumper run. She had 2 perfect clean runs (100) and one 90. She came home with 3 qualifying ribbons and 3 "1st" place Blue Ribbons in Novice Preferred.(8" jumps). We have just started intermediate agility classes and Lilly has now passed out all her peers in Beginner Agility. She just loves class and I enjoy working with her. She is just one dog that wants to please me; maybe because I was her 6th move before she found her "forever" home. She just makes mom so proud. If both you and your dog enjoy the sport....then go for it. It's takes work and commitment but soooo much fun and worth it.

Good Luck,

Rose

Tip: All you need to start in your back yard is to make 3 jumps out of 1" PVC pipe and connectors and 1 set of 6 weave poles. You can read the AKC regulations for agility trials to get the exact measurements you need.

Awesome job!!!!!! I can only imagine how proud you are!

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.

-M. Acklam

Savannah's Dogster Page

We went on our first agility course this weekend so I was very interested to see this post. Cassie seems to really enjoy every part of it. When our hot summer here is over and she is a little older we are going to start with classes. The folks we met cautioned us to not start jumping at only seven months of age since the bones are still growing but I wanted to see if she had the inclination. My daughter who is 8 took her through with the trainer and she seems good at giving direction and kind and patient as well. This may be a great match for them to have fun and get out and do something physical as well as a great confidence builder.

• 2 weeks later...

Susan,

Sounds like you and Nikki will make a great agility team!.

I'm a proud mama too this weekend. Lilly got her 3rd Q with a clean run, 1st place and earned

her Novice Standard Title. She is truly amazing! She has only competed in 3 standard runs and

1 jumper run since April and earned 4 "1st place". Her next trial she will be in Open Standard Preferred.

It will be a little more difficult but I know she can do it.

Rose

Archived