CairnTalk

Marking

HELP! We have a 3 year old, neutered, male that was a abused, pet store puppy that we rescued at age 8 months. The reason given for being discarded by his owners was because they were unable to housetrain him.

We had him house trained in about one year, but within the last few months he has taken to frequent marking in the house. There have been a few changes in the household: new carpet, child moved home after college and one of us recently became unemployed - Which we know can cause some upset.

HOWEVER! Regardless of the changes to the environment, we have to find a way to stop this behavior once and for all.

Any / all suggestions, advice, words-of-wisdom, etc. will be appreciated.

I guess the first thing I would do is rule out a physical problem like a bladder infection or a pH problem that might be causing this.

If it's behavioral, I supposed you have to start over with housetraining. It makes sense that the changes in the dog's environment might cause some regression. Whatever you did to get the dog housetrained that worked before, go back to that. And make sure that he's not getting mixed signals that are confusing to him by the new member in the household.

Take care! Susan

A Cairns sensitivity to their environment is really something. They will notice something that is different right now! Especially if like for example, this has been a cold, snowy winter of us, and we are both retired. We will be with our puppy for two or three days and not go anywhere but outside the door to take out the trash etc. This makes Nicky very happy to have me and his dad right here with him. But low and behold we run low on dog food or people food and have to go shopping. That night, you can count on the fact of him peeing on the floor in the kitchen, where he is confined somewhat most of the time. This isn't happening as much as it was; but still shows what is meant by regression. They are excitable and sensitive puppies. Nicky is eight months now and has come out of a lot of stuff. Thank Heaven.

Posey :o

Archived