CairnTalk

Ears erect?

LynnC

At what age should both Cairn ears be erect? I have a 5 month old Cairn and he has one ear erect and the other looks as it will be no time soon before it is erect. Is it possible it will not ever be erect? I have had Cairns before so I am not overly worried - but was just wondering.

Hi and welcome.

My observation is that with some dogs the ears sometimes seem to go up and down a bit throughout teething. After that's complete (potentially as long as six months) what you see is typically what you get, as far as I know.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Here is my Grady at 4 months with only one ear up. He was around 5  months old when the other ear popped up and down a bit  before staying up.

I've also heard the same about the teething period and ears standing.

023full.jpg

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Grady is adorable! He has a white chin just like Atticus!

I love the one ear up, one ear down, although I can understand the concern. Atticus's ears were up when we got him. I was sad I didn't get to see his ears down.

• 1 month later...

I had a male who at 6 months old, his ears were still down and flopped over. I used an old GSD trick and used mole foam and surgical glue to create two braces on the inside of the ear to hold it up. I left them in for a week or two and then removed them with rubbing alcohol, his ears fully firmed up over the next 6 months.   

Tracy, Amos, Walter, Brattwrust & Mettwurst a.k.a The Gremlins