CairnTalk

9 Week Old Cairn

Rate this topic

bayfeet

Dexter is doing well with x-pen. He goes in and and takes care of business.  We krate him at night and I bring him down 3x at night. I put him in the pen and he immediately tinkles or poops and then I bring him back up and in his krate. If he’s playing in the family room he will go into the pen no accidents so far. We have started to take him outside to one spot and he just won’t go. The minute I bring him in he goes right in the Pen and goes. I have taken some poops and put them outside by one spot. We were out for two hours no go. The pad is a large 4x4 pad. We had the smaller disposable pads with the tray and initially he was using that, but started to tear it up. Again, very good inside nothing outside. The other problem taking him out is everything goes right into his mouth so we are constantly sweeping clumps of grass and other objects out. Any help on how to encourage going outside? Ed

Great that the xpen is useful.

Puppies want to do their business in a familiar spot. The pad smells familiar the outside not.

Maybe put a used pad outside so he can feel it is ok to do business there. Gradually have less to no pad inside and ditto when he goes outside. Praise him when he goes outside. Walk him about with little time for doing what he wants. Tell him what you want him to do. eg "Go potty" "Do business" or whatever. This is business time - not playtime.

I have never used pads because of the difficulty (for me anyway) of transferring potty business from inside to outside. Yes it meant multiple trips outside for weeks.😂 But it was worth it. Angus learned that "do business" meant get on with it and minimize sniffing around. We travelled quite a bit when he was a young dog and it sure was helpful in a strange place to be able to take him out and tell him where he could go.

May others will come along with other suggestions.

Dexter is smart like all cairns and he will learn. Patience will pay off:)