CairnTalk

Ella needs Training, and so does Mommy!

anniegirl

Ella had a great time at the Christmas Craft fair. Incidentally, it was not a planned event. The day changed when my husband let me out of the car to cross the road to enter the event, the town square full of tents, displays of goods and crafts, baking and a whole lot of good Christmas fun. What happened next was a big blur.....Ella, faster than a bullet jumped out of the car. Never did this before, I was shocked and before I knew it, she was having a great time running from me as she darted thru the displays, under tables, ran past a line of Moms, Dads, and kids waiting in the Santa line up. Ran up to Santa and jumped on this knee trying to say " Hello, I'm Ella and I want to see everyone while I'm here. I love everyone!!! But I can't stay long cause here comes Mom, look out! I better run and hide under another table.

Lucky for me a friend came over, called to Ella and who came to say Hi, she grabbed her. Now in Mommy's arms, back we go. Ella had a blast and I was a nervous wreck.

Moral of the story, Ella gets leashed into the car..always.  Mommy and Ella need to go for obedience lessons.  ....asap.

Ella is now 11 months. Is this like the terrible twos ? Is there hope for us? She comes when called in the yard, but anywhere else...no chance.  

My other Cairns were pretty good at this when they got older, could walk hiking trails and always stayed with us. I dare not let Ella go yet.

20211121_173615.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Reading about Ella gave me PTS flashbacks to Ruffy when he was her age. When I got him from the shelter, they warned me that he was "an escape artist" and to "never, ever" let him off the leash. It took 3 escapes before I finally understood to unleash him after we got into the car... Duh! Eventually he became more calm and controllable. 

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• bradl changed the title to Ella needs Training, and so does Mommy!

Saw that title "Ella Needs Training, and so does Mommy!" and after reading thought -- And Mommy needs a set-down and a big glass of red wine!

I think we have all been there. I once fell down on the sidewalk screaming while on vacation in California because my Oban had jumped out of the car and headed for the busy street a half block away.  I hoped he would react to my distress and return to me (this is a tactic I learned here on Cairntalk.) Curiosity got the better of him (or maybe he really cared whether I was hurt?) and he came back and within range for me to catch him. Whew.

• Like 2

Oh my! Ella sure had a blast at your expense! Count me in with experiences with run away Cairns! A few months ago Atticus ran out the front door while a friend was in the doorway saying goodbye. My husband, and I, looked like fools while Atticus laughed at us while we chased him around the front yard. We finally caught him and discovered that chasing him was the LAST thing you should do in this case.....but it's the first thing your instincts do when they kick in!

• Like 1

Yes, this is like the terrible twos!

The thing about Spike and running out the door: He is SO sneaky.  He won't try for weeks or months, like, "I'm totally trustworthy."

Then, one day when I'm not expecting it, he'll make a break for the door.  Caught him every time so far, but it's tough.

Fortunately, he does not run out when I'm coming back from a bike ride.  Very hard to guard the door in that situation, but so far, so good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found the only way to have peace of mind was to keep my cairns leashed, only exception a fenced yard WITH me present. Even a fence doesn't help because they dig like moles and climb like monkeys. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2