CairnTalk

Hell hath no fury like a Scottie done wrong

Sam I Am

I am exhausted...Rosie absolutely detests having me groom her....that includes everything from trimming to clipping.  She has never been good at being clipped , she won’t tolerate stripping for one second, however since she had a procedure at the cardiologist which required having her side and chest shaved, it’s almost impossible. Amazing how a 20 pound dog can be so strong..and Rosie who is very sweet turns into a Tasmanian devil. 

So  after the first few days of her coat looking like it’s been attacked by angry rats, it grows out a bit and is passable ....either me or her should have a shot of good Scottish 🥃 and as she isn’t allowed I will have to have her shot.😘

The ear floofs will have to remain as I want all ten of my fingers remaining on my hands.

44C72E6E-CDFA-400D-BA6F-E28038B6CF66.jpeg

Edited by Sam I Am
  • Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

she looks fine! cairns and scotties clearly share a family philosophy when it comes to limited toleration for human foolishness. a huge amount of british comedy is built around people being terrorized by scotties. in american comedy it is always a doberman or a chihuahua. 

• Haha 2

Grooming hint: Squirrels!...(might be a remedy)... 

One balmy spring day I packed all  Ruffy’s grooming implements and took him to the park, stood him on a picnic table and started to work on him from head to tail when a squirrel approached, rooting around close by, but instead of trying to bolt, Ruffy went on full alert and froze, mesmerized for at least 15 minutes...allowing me enough time for stress free, trim and some basic stripping. 

I treasure the memory of that one-and-only blessedly peaceful grooming experience.

• Like 6

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Yes, Rosie is definitely giving you the stink-eye...she is quite opinionated, isn't she? 

She looks better groomed than either of my two...

• Haha 2

Sanford as strange as it may seem while Sam is totally into chasing those tree rats, Rosie is far to dignified to indulge herself with a lowly creature  such as a squirrel. And yes Scottie’s are opinionated..they are Scottish ! 🤣

Scotties are a wonderful breed and it saddened me to read that in the UK they are actually on the at risk breed of becoming no more...losing the very breed that is iconic to the country. The UK kennel club has started a campaign to save British Dog Breeds. The Scottie is one of the most loyal breeds we have ever had the honour of owning, their home, their master is number one, often ignoring strangers as our previous Scottie Sandie did. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

To me, that face says "Do I get some treats for putting up with all that?"   Grooming dozens and dozens of Scotties over the years, between my own and rescue fosters, I've had my share of fighters, and I wind up wearing them down in the end.  Clippering with the lay of the hair on the majority of the dog's body, instead of against it, like the professional grooming shops do, seems to be less annoying to them.  Other than that, I have no "Scottie breeder tips" to share, sorry.   Smooches to Rosie from a 36 year Scottie Mom!

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 7:50 PM, Sam I Am said:

Scotties are a wonderful breed and it saddened me to read that in the UK they are actually on the at risk breed of becoming no more...losing the very breed that is iconic to the country. The UK kennel club has started a campaign to save British Dog Breeds. 

Here is a pic I took when walking Ruffy in the park some time ago. We came across someone walking his FOUR Scotties. Obviously, he's doing his part "to save British dog breeds." (He told us he used to have five)!

Of course, Ruffy is up front in the picture as usual!😄.IMG_0793.thumb.JPG.c2567e86cc1d55711ab7a5048ceebbf9.JPG

Edited by sanford
spelling
  • Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

• 1 month later...