CairnTalk

Psychic Cairn?

Bobbi

Since I've read similar messages posted by other frustrated owners about Cairns who refuse to come, I understand it's a fairly common problem. We tried teaching Gus basic obedience using the same techniques and methods we learned from the trainer who provided the lessons we took with our boxer (who's starting to look more and more like a genius), and while a few seem to "click" with him -- he'll sit, for example, and stops whatever he's doing if I say "no" -- he absolutely refuses to come. Makes no difference whether we're inside or out, although he's better about responding to the command when he's in. Here's the thing: not only will he not come to us when we're outside in the yard (yes, it's fenced), he barks incessantly, with no provocation we can see. He isn't barking at anything we can see, but he acts as if there's some threatening presence that the rest of us just don't seem to get. He growls, moves backward, ears pointing, fur raised on his back, etc. One would think that if he's feeling frightened or threatened, he'd be all too happy to come to one of us -- but it's just the opposite. We're really about at wit's end on this one :cry: . Anyone familiar with the behavior?

Well, my Cairns have always been quite protective and territorial. Squirrels are not allowed in the yard, birds and planes are not allowed to fly over, cars are not allowed to drive down our street, trees are not allowed to rustle their leaves...you get the picture.

Nikki, my four-year-old, will only come if I say I have something good enough. If I just tell her to come, that means nothing. If I say "Come get a peanut!" well...that's worth coming for. Food is the language they understand. Offer FOOOOD!!!! Does your dog like Tostitos? Open a bag and he's come running. I know it's cheating and we would like to think they should just come because they're obedient. But in truth, they're stubborn little boogers with a "what's in it for me" attitude sometimes.

Take care! Susan

Hey, Bobby, I know what you mean. In the evenings, ours sits facing the wall like he can see someone we can't. He seems to bark at invisible personages.

Late Evenings and early mornings are hypnotic for people (hypnagogic and hypnopompic, respectively). During those times we are supposed to be more able to sense otherworlds.

Children and animals are purportedly psychic because they have not been taught not to be.

Ellenn and Susan, thanks for the responses. While I hate to admit it (as I know it's a terrible precedent to set), we'd already resorted to bribing him with treats to get him to come in. :oops: Thing is, the little guy caught on really fast, and the dog biscuit container no longer interests him. If I really want him to pay attention, I have to get out the Doritos bag. And I really appreciate someone sharing the possibility that he really is seeing something we don't. I suppose that may sound nutty to some people, but I haven't foreclosed on the possibility that there are paranormal explanations for things. The fact that we can't explain some of it rationally doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Could be you're both right: he's protecting his territory from something only he can see. :)

Archived