CairnTalk

Possible cairn terrier

Cassidy Baldwin

Hi!

Little bit of a long story but in short, I fostered a group of puppies that were taken out of a puppy mill. I bottle fed and did my duty until they were all adopted. There was only one male in the mix and low and behold, almost a year later, my local animal shelter called me to say my dog was at the shelter. (I only had a pug who was laying upside down sunbathing in front of me.) So maybe you guessed it by now...the woman got the male puppy and then dumped him later. He suffered an injury to his back leg after being hit by a car. I have him now and he will be my baby from now on. 

Now I was told he was a cairn terrier. He has the ears,body type, hair type, personality  and everything of one.  It is just that he has the standard black and tan marking of a yorkie however. Any ideas on that?

Also I learned how to groom him and everything (been fostering a long time) but any tips and such are appreciated of course.

• Thanks 1

Hi and welcome. Black and Tan  apparently exists in the Cairn Terrier gene pool somewhere but is felt to be an ancestral throwback expression and seldom seen. I have only known one in 27 years personally  (he was cute as all get-out too). Patterned marking in a Cairn is probably more typically from a more recent mix than an ancestral throwback, but anything is possible. Thanks for giving him a decent start in life and apparently a second chance too!

• Agree 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Cassidy thank goodness your pup landed back on your home! Would love to see a pic of him.🐾🐾💕

• Agree 3

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Maybe a bit of wire haired terrier somewhere in the back ground. You see the black and tan markings with them.

How fortunate you found each other again. Long life and happiness to you both.

Agree wed love a pic.

• Agree 2

On 7/4/2021 at 6:39 PM, Sam I Am said:

Cassidy thank goodness your pup landed back on your home! Would love to see a pic of him.🐾🐾💕

Sorry if the surroundings look dirty lol. I assure you I keep a clean environment but I did just move my life around (happily I might add)20210702_153913.thumb.jpg.9fb578371dbb098c9e27b447c973125e.jpg20210706_032528.thumb.jpg.b094002925c123fb89add722f7fa3ee2.jpg

• Agree 1

On 7/5/2021 at 9:08 AM, Hillscreek said:

Maybe a bit of wire haired terrier somewhere in the back ground. You see the black and tan markings with them.

How fortunate you found each other again. Long life and happiness to you both.

Agree wed love a pic.

I apologize for my car lol. We may have went shopping and then Omri needed a bit of water so I destroyed the organization to our bags to provide for my new baby.20210702_201408.thumb.jpg.f0308b8e43ecfdb4b97a0357625f169b.jpg

Definitely terrier! And even more definitely -- quite cute! Glad you have him back again.  He's a keeper...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

He is absolutely gorgeous!  That definitely is a terrier and has a Cairnish look about his face.🐾🐾💕

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

A rough coated terrier for sure --and with a cairnish look in that dark eye! What a fun companion he will make.

• Agree 1

i'm feeling cairny vibes. the first picture, profile. that noble snout. too long for a yorkie, i think. 

• 2 years later...