CairnTalk

Stripping the puppy coat

Tayala83

Hey all, I'm new to being a cairn owner. I admit to buying Ziggy simply because he was so cute and a bit crazy. 

I tried finger stripping him, but not sure if I did anything right. I have been brushing and combing weekly. Nail trimming weekly just to get him used to it. He is 4 months old. He doesn't look like the cairns I see on here. When will he get fluffy???? Ha! 😆

20210203_203921.jpg

20210203_204719.jpg

• Like 2

Hi, Tayala! It looks like a good job to me!

It's been over 20 years since I had a cairn puppy and I was always afraid to strip him myself. I've got a boy coming home in about 4 weeks, though, and I've resolved to doing it this time. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, NomadCat said:

Hi, Tayala! It looks like a good job to me!

It's been over 20 years since I had a cairn puppy and I was always afraid to strip him myself. I've got a boy coming home in about 4 weeks, though, and I've resolved to doing it this time. Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks. Took me about four days. It was good quality time with him.... I work days and my hubby is home with him. Im pretty frugal, so I bought all of the tools for grooming (except for a table). Not bad  just can't wait for him to look like the cairns I see in pictures (although I think he's super cute the way he is as well) Good luck to you! 

It looks like you did a great job! I was always afraid to do this, so I just trimmed the hair around their paws and ears. He will fill out soon. Don't you just love the puppy stages? :)

• Like 1

Wow..impressive job. Good for you . Sam never was good at having his coat stripped so I just trim and use shearing scissors and a mars comb. Love his black face and ears!

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie