CairnTalk

Congratulations to Westminster Cairns

bradl

Congrats to all dogs participating at Westminster, and big Wooo-hoooo for ...

purple-gold.gifBest of Breed: Ch Kinloch's Royal Troon ME

Best Opposite: Ch Ashwood Kenric's American Idol. Awards of merit: Ch Mavrik's Thunder Rolls, Ch Kyleakin Scotsman Invasion.

:party::thumbsup:

Apparently breed highlights will be available in streaming video from the Westminster Kennel Club web site a couple hours after the (9am EST) ring time. Check this page:

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2005/video/breed/

When the streaming video is ready I imagine the link for Cairn should become active.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I so enjoyed watching that video! We'll be watching for Oliver tonight during the televised show. I personally loved the one whose handler kept trying to keep his tail still and straight, but he kept wagging it and finally wagged it in tiny little circles! I'm totally ignorant when it comes to dog shows, when the judge had the two dogs "face off", if one seemed to get in the other's face I'm assuming that's not good. The one I picked out as Oliver (female handler in royal blue suit) was a perfect gentleman during that segment. Great video!

they all had their tails wagging! I can't imaging Bruschi walking so well on a leash...someday.... :confused: They don't show as well when you are dragging them by the neck! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

That was so great! I loved the video, they are all so beautiful

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Breathless! They are GORGEOUS! Alas, I don't know that Charlie will EVER look that beautiful because the whole idea of stripping sends willies down my back! Does it really not hurt them? How soon is one supposed to start the stripping?

I am hopelessly in love with this breed and I've only owned one for ... well. Less than 24 HOURS! :D

• 1 month later...

Hey Brad:

I noticed that at the Westminster Dog Show, during the judging they brought two Cairns nose to nose, sometimes there was a short scrimmage and other times nothing happened. What's the purpose of this???

Is it to "test their mettle"? See whether they will back down or not? I'm curius too, but I think that the Cairn is meant to be a courageous little dog without being agressive - a fine balance, right?

That is my understanding. It's called sparring. It's an unfortunate misnomer to the extent that sparring implies battle of some sort. The idea is that a terrier being sparred should stand alertly up on its toes and 'own' the ground they are standing on. What you hope to see is an alert dog, aware of and interested in his surroundings, exuding supreme confidence. When you see dogs flying about at the end of their leashes, well, that's not correct, whether by lack of training or temperament. You'll note the dog that won simply looked sharp, held his ground, and no shenanigans. Done well it's a thing of beauty - I've been moved nearly to tears by a couple of displays of beautiful dogs in their full glory; done poorly it's an embarrassment for all concerned. It's also a matter of some controversery across the dog world, with articulate advocates both 'for' and 'against' the practice.

It's a 'ring thing' and done for the judge's benefit - it's rude, if not outright provocative, to make two dogs who meet on the street in a social interaction look directly at each other. All in my opinion of course. Others are most welcome to offer their views.

This came up in another thread, too: http://www.cairnterrier.org/forum/index.ph...indpost&p=12153

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

That video was fantastic. I am gonna watch it again and again. Digby enjoyed it too, he loves to watch any action on screen.

I found the sparring to be interesting too. It definately shows if the dog is controlled well by the handler, and if it is properly trained. As much as I admire those dogs, I feel bad for them in a sense. They live a life no ordinary Cairn should have to, although by the looks of them, they are far from ordinary. Breathtaking animals when shown that way. Thanks Bradl. :)

“In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.”

-Hoagland

Brad:

Is the sparring something the judges do or the handler??

If Westminster is against it why is it done???

Personally, I don't find it necessary to do. DO YOU???

Archived